Cascade Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Alright, I admit that I wussed out of doing an AG but I came close... I decided last minute to do an APA. My recipe is posted below - I ended up using 2 lbs of light LME to bring it up to a 5 gal. batch instead of 4. The recipator calculated my SRM at around 7, but my actual color is like a Killian's :confused: I think it's from the biscuit malt but if you guys have some input I'd appreciate it. Oh, I'm also proud because I exceeded my efficiency hopes and dreams of 70% (my actual effic. was 73 :rockin: ).

Cascade Pale Ale

Beer: Cascade Pale Ale Style: American Pale Ale
Type: Partial mash Size: 5.0 gallons
Color: 9 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 31 IBU
OG: 1.045 FG: 1.008
Alcohol: 4.8% v/v (3.8% w/w)

Grain: 1.5 lb. German Vienna
1.5 lb. German Munich
4.0 oz. Belgian biscuit
6.0 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
3.0 oz. Flaked barley
2.0 lb. American 2-row

Mash: 73% efficiency
Heat 1.8 gal water to 152° F with grains submerged in bag. Remove pot from heat and wrap in blankets for 60 min. I ended up heating it once more to 155 F. Sparge with 2 gal water at 175° F into fermentor bucket. I then ran the bucket back thru the strainer filled with grains in a grain bag and did a final sparge of 1 gal at 170 F.

Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.048 4.75 gallons
2.0 lb. Light malt extract
Irish moss at 20 min.
Hops: 0.5 oz. Yakima Magnum (13.1% AA, 60 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
0.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)

Yeast: Toss on cake of US 56

The darker color would be from the biscuit in that recipe. I wouldn't be too concerned with anything cosmetic though.

My other thinking is that you did what I did last time I was at the LHBS and said "Victory" when you meant to say "Vienna" :cross: :drunk:

I'm pretty sure I grabbed the right malts, though I used the biscuit malt in an english IPA and it turned about the same color; but it had crystal in it too. I don't mind the color, it's actually a pretty cool looking amber/red. It is just not what I expected, as I was trying to go for a light colored yet malty beer. It smells fantastic coming out of the airlock!

Wierd... I just racked my APA to secondary and it lightened up considerably with fermentation. It was reddish but now is a pretty light golden color. I am so mad I didn't do partial mashes earlier, as this beer is GREAT with the Munich and Vienna malts. They add a depth to the malt character that I hadn't previously acheived with my extract/specialty grain beers. :ban:

Back