Using Fruit Extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyuwp

Reaction score
I was just reading about the cherry wheat question and my next batch is planned to be a strawberry honey wheat. I've never used fruit before and was planning to use an extract. Is it best to place the extract in the secondary and rack over the top of it? Seems to be fairly easy to do it that way.

I would think the big issue is whether the fruit extract is sterile/pasteurized. If so, I don't see why you wouldn't just add it like you say...

My local HBS sells fruit extracts and recommends they be added to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar when you bottle. They also sell oregon fruit purees (sterilized and seedless) that are generally for wine but I bet you could add a can or half a can to the secondary and get great results that way as well. I hope I'm not violating any rules by posting this but my local shop has a decent webpage where you can find both of the aforementioned products at www.homebrewden.com

I've only done one fruity style beer (multiple times), an apricot wheat with the extract. I do get repeated requests for "make that again". I'm tempted to use fresh fruit but if the customers like what I'm providing (the wife and her female friends) not sure if I want to switch. Probably should; could be better yet.

Back