irish red 18%abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my post no good question. I meant no it WAS A GOOD question I did like and will use the link for info and now most likely keg then bottle due to it being brought up. Also yooper thanks for researching the link and providing it. This is going to be a strong solution my some of the concerns I had about adding yeast. Since my rant last night has been exactly what I was hoping for in this thread usefull help and good advice. Thank you all

I just read through the link parts list and guess what I have all that. I purchased my keg that I made into my kettle last month and the guy gave me two sanki taps with the picnic taps on them but I would prob never use I was gonna sell or trash they are prob junk anyway. I have a racking cain that I broke the top off and the stopper in my misc supplies bucket. So it will be FREE.

No Yooper, you offered the thread link in response to Christapher's post, who was the OP and who does keg.

I was asking in general if I needed kegging gear to carb up very high alcohol brews in case I tried something crazy like a barley wine, because I don't have any kegging gear and can't buy any in the foreseeable future. And you gave me a great response to that question.

I was apologizing to Christapher11 because he seemed to think my question was bad, and it's his thread.

I have seen your posts in other threads and have always appreciate your experienced advice on brewing.

Sorry if I wasted your time, didn't mean to, I did appreciate your response.

No, it's fine. I thought you had started the whole conversation, so that was irritating! But I see that it's just a follow up question on carbing up big beers. Thanks for explaining, and making me see that.

Non-carbing is one of the issues with big beers, as the yeast is pooped out and any yeast that is added can be ruined by alcohol toxicity. Yeast doesn't grow or ferment in a high alcohol environment. Bottle carbing can be tricky as a result.

No worries Yooper, I know you're very active on the site and have a lot going on right now.

I just didn't want to piss YOU off and have you thinking I was an ungrateful lout.
Happy Sunday :mug:

I brewed 10 gallons today and will be needing to use the carboy that the18% is in. I wont need it until racking to secondary so about another week -12days. I am thinking of putting it into the keg and hooking up the co2 and leaving it in the keezer about 36f. I plan on leaving it there for about 4 weeks at 12psi then bottling from the keg. Any input on these time frames. And if I should put it in the keezer? I could pressure it up and bring back in the house but I would have to keep going out to the garage ever day and hooking up the co2 for a while to carb it. I live in Northern nevada and garage temps are in the 30's and lower so might freeze if I leave it there.

Sounds good, but you might want to sample before bottling, just to make sure hot alcohol flavors have mellowed enough for your tastes.

Time is your friend, especially with big beers.

I can leave in keg as long as I need I have more kegs than secondary carboy's so maybe I'll leave it there longer like 2-3 months before bottle.

Interesting thread!
Your searching for the keg to bottle equipement has helped me out too Yooper, so a big thank-you from me as well. :)

I put the batch in a keg today to carb. I will bottle in about a week or two when ever I get time. I did taste test and was not bad, it was sweet alcohol and the dry hop was there very drinkable and I think just might bee good with some time.

Christafer11 said:
I put the batch in a keg today to carb. I will bottle in about a week or two when ever I get time. I did taste test and was not bad, it was sweet alcohol and the dry hop was there very drinkable and I think just might bee good with some time.

Hm... if you're interested I would like to do a beer swap. Im very interested.

I would love to be able to swap and share with many but, I have promised several bottles to local friends and a few on here from the start of the thread. I also did not rack the full 5 gal off the spent hops so it is more like a 4 gal batch. Maybe next time Gin unless hap is willing to give up his bottle but I don't think that's gonna happin.

I would love to be able to swap and share with many but, I have promised several bottles to local friends and a few on here from the start of the thread.

Yep, here is my request from page 1

back to the OP question...

add the champagne yeast well after the notty is done, that way you get the flavor that the notty might produce. I'd use that dry champagne yeast in the little yellow packs - it will fermetn to very high alcohol levels.

good luck with your beer. 6# brown sugar is a lot, but you never know. Feel free to send me one for evaluation :)

The day has come first full pour:)
and basically taste like sweet ALCHOL. Just a little burn going down with a slight hop after taste! Much better than I thought but not a "beer" I would drink a lot of a night. To those who I have said I will send u a bottle. I will but will be a little longer I am moving next week, and beer could use a little more time so by end of year maybe turkey day or x mas gift.

Cheers to my old man RIP 5-24-08

image-2561040657.jpg

image-3455417052.jpg

Thanks for the update. Too many times people say they will tell us how things turn out and we never hear anything.

Just followed this thread from the first post. Cool project and lots of good info here. Can't wait to see how this brew progresses further.

I had just one before wife got home then out to diner, she drove I had a real good buzz for a while. 2-3 of these and your night might be over.

Christafer11 said:
I had just one before wife got home then out to diner, she drove I had a real good buzz for a while. 2-3 of these and your night might be over.

Oh yeah, my tolerance seems much lower these days. 3 of these would be more than enough for me.

Well 3 of these would be 36 oz at 18% or the equivalent of 18 oz at 36%. This is slightly more potent than 12 1.5 oz shots of Captian Morgan at 70 proof! I would be a mess!

maybe I missed it, did you ever end up getting your FG any lower than the 1.032? if not, this "only" ended up at 13.1%ABV. glad to hear it ended up pretty good either way :mug:

Yes I don't remember the exact number but was low 1020's 1022-1024. So still not 18% but close enough and you know it's full of the good stuff when drinking it.

Back