Could this be my first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrtickel

Reaction score
Im just wondering is my beer infected is teh stuff on top just yeast its like a tin soft crust.
"http://www.flickr.com/photos/52230385@N06/5165246260/"

This is a cooper canadian blonde extract kit and i used a tin of amber LME instead of sugar and a notthingham yeast instead of the cooper lager yeast just to see how it would go and taste.
So can anyone tell me if its infected there is no bad smell off it and it is in the primer 8 days and has only stopped bubbling now and my OG was 1043 and today the FG is 1020 So what should i do with this???

looks just like the krausen is dropping or there wasnt much. Does it smell funky at all, or taste really bad.

Should i leave this like this for another few days in the fermentor or should i rack it to secondary or should i scrape the krausen off the top then transfer to the bottling bucket.
If i leave this will my FG reduce anymore. This is the first time i seen this happen to any of my kits when it finished bubbling.

You will find that many of us skip secondary all together and opt instead fro a month long primary. That way it inusres fermentation is complete and lets the yeast have an opportunity to clean up the byproducts of fermentation that leas to off flavors. There's a ton of info on here about it, so you don't need to ask much about it, it's done to death on here.

Even if you do choose to secondary I would wait til it's been at least two weeks and your hydrometer confirms that fermentation is complete, then rack over.

Either way that much krauzen on top leads me to think that fermentation is still happenning and you definitely don't want to do anything with it yet, even rack to secondary

You'll find that in this hobby, no-action/waiting often leads to the best tasting beer.

When it comes to fermenting my beers I like to 'set it and forget it' and go about doing some other types of cool beer stuff like building a stir plate or a wort cooler, the less we fuss with the fermentation the better the beer!

Back