re-using yeast from a smoked beer... does smoke flavor carry through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui808

Reaction score
Wondering if I should re-use the yeast cake from my smoked ipa (which had 1lb smoked malt in it) for a regular ipa. Anyone have experience re-using yeast from a smoked beer? Does the flavor carry through?

I was going to use fresh yeast, but i just noticed a tiny fly or bug of some sort in my starter and I don't want to risk using it now.

Mahalo!

the yeast should not retain the smoked flavor. the only thing that will have any amount of smoked flavor is the media the yeast is in and if you use a small slurry for the whole of your next batch, the smoked flavor should not carry over

You could always wash the yeast, and then you'd have no trub or anything to carry over to the next batch.

You know washing yeast from dry yeast is a waste of time money wise. BUT it sure is cool to do for some reason! I have some nottingham washed in the beer fridge right now.

Thanks! I took some yeast from the smoke beer (which after tasting has virtually no smoke flavor... will use more then one pound of smoke malt next time). I never knew how yeast washing worked until now, very cool to learn something new.

I never wash yeast any more. Seriously all you need is about 100ml slurry and you put that into over 20000ml wort. I have no problem using yeast from a stout for a cream ale. If you just dumping onto a whole cake it might be a problem.

Back