Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojotele

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some opinions, here. I definitely want to start kegging and serving my beer on a kegerator hopefully sometime during the summer. I've been contemplating all the ways I can accomplish this, and there seems to be three options that I'm open to:

1. I currently have a 7 cubic foot chest freezer that I use for fermenting and lagering. My schedule seems to be such that I never have more than one carboy in there at a time, so it really is bigger than I need. If I could find a smaller mini-freezer in which to ferment and lager in (trying to save space), I could convert the chest freezer into a keezer. The main advantage seems to be expandability. The disadvantage is that I'd have to keep it in the basement as it is simply too large to put in the main living area.

2. I could get a mini-fridge and convert it to a kegerator. I'd want at least two taps. A big advantage would be that I could put it in the living area. Disadvantages are that it isn't very expandable and seems to be a tad more difficult to convert than a chest freezer.

3. I can simply buy a commercial kegerator and get the necessary equipment to hook up corny kegs to it. Advantage is that it is super easy. Disadvantage is that it costs more.

Opinions? Does anyone know of a good mini-freezer to ferment and lager in or a good mini-fridge that can hold 2 corny kegs and a CO2 tank? For the latter, it seems like a lot of the popular models simply aren't sold anymore. I've also been keeping my eye on Craigslist, but nothing has come up yet.

I really appreciate any comments. Thanks! :mug:

how cold do you like your beer? You could always lager at 45-50F in the keezer with your kegged beer? Just an idea. I don't drink my brews below 45F so I lager with my kegs at times.

Good thought, man. Thanks for the suggestion! For ales I could always do the swamp cooler method then just lager with my kegs.

Back