Guinness -- Draught vs Extra Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer ?

• Draught

• Extra Stout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I want to know which is better and why.

In return...

jodie-marsh-guiness.jpg

The extra stout tastes like a reasonable stout. Guinness draught does not.

Oh yes, and Draught is drank by ladies with plastic boobies, plastic noses and Buddy Holly tattoos. ;)

Guinness draught is watery and tasteless (even in Ireland) and the extra stout is a little better.

Now, the Foreign Extra Stout is something to get excited about!

I've heard good things about the Foreign Extra Stout. I need to get my hands on some.

Guiness Extra Cold FTW! Yea I know, its so cold its probably numbing all my taste buds but man did I drink a ton of that stuff the few times I have been to scotland.

i like the guinness that comes in the 22 oz bombers. i think that's the extra. i will drink the draught off a tap, but don't care for the cans or bottles with the widgets in it.

the anniversary stout was too carbonated imo.

funny thing, most of the guinness we get here in ummerika is from soviet canukistan... i thought it had to have water from st. james's to be proper guinness. ;)

I think that the Draught is better, not just because of the creamy-nitro head - its better because it has a sort of "sour" taste that the Extra Stout doesn't. The Extra Stout is nothing special at all, I could make beer that good.

I voted draught. And I really hope you aren't talking about out of a can or bottle because both of those are nasty IMO. It just doesn't work for me.

A good pour of Guinness is a great beer IMO. Light, flavorful, great mouthfeel, dry finish. It is a fantastic drink. Extra stout and extra foreign stout have more to them but so do a lot of other beers. Guinness draught is much more unique than the extra stout. The foreign export is special, but list the pubs you've seen it in..... I didn't think so.

Draught off the tap not in bottles... but remember a good Irish Car Bomb uses the bombers so if you mix stout with some irish cream and some fine scotch my vote would change :)

I want to know which is better and why.

Well that's like asking which is better, the left one or the right one?

They're both my favorite commercial beers, for different reasons. Extra Stout was the first beer I ever got drunk on, and was all that was available for a while. Lots and lots of very fond memories for me in every bottle. Draught though is liquid velvet.

The Extra Stout. It has more flavor and I find it has that twang at the end that guinness is known for.

I agree that the Forgein Extra Stout is the best of the bunch. In fact it's the best stout I've ever had. Too bad they don't import it to the US.

I haven't had either enough to decide, and I'm not sure I've ever had Extra Stout.

I do like to collect whichever one has the plastic labels. They peel right off and have a sexay shape! Good for refilling with my homebrew!

First off...what bar is that?? I like the uniform!!!

I like the Draught better...but you gotta get it fresh!

The advice to those visiting Ireland is to buy the same Irish Stout the locals drink. That way, for sure you know it's fresh!! If you buy the stuff nobody else drinks...then there is a likely chance you'll be buying some stale beer.

---------

It's amazing how many Guinness choice's there are. I dropped into an O'Neils pub in London and ordered a Guinness...the bartender asked, "Will that be Regular, Red or Extra Cold?" They have Guinness Red over there...it's got more Toasted Barley instead of as much Roasted Barley... Supposed to win over the ladies. I like the regular stuff best myself.

I definitely prefer the Draught. For me, there is little better than that last dollop of nitrogen whip at the bottom of a freshly poured Guinness pint.

I don't really care for either. All I know at this point is that I wanna kick the sh*t out of the guy who invented that sticky tape that keeps models' swimsuits in place. The same stuff that looks like its holding the cloth over her bewbie. She got nice bewbies and I wanna see em.

apparently foreign extra stout is much more like what guinness from the 19th century tasted like (except foreign stout from places that use sorghum), i prefer extra stout though i am not a guinness drinker

I'm not a Guinness fan, it all seems a bit too roasty & watered down to my taste. I'll take a Watney's cream stout any time. BTW, is that brewskank Amy Winehouse's little sister? :D Regards, GF.

Here in Boston, We have some great Irish bars. Guinness is good in some and not so good in others. If the lines aren't cleaned out on a regular basis, it can have a very bitter taste. There's a few bars in and around Boston, that the Guinness is amazing..

Back