question about "aquarium temperature controller"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamBrewer

Reaction score
Hi!
I used for a couple of times this temperature controller for my belgian ales:

03.jpg (image)

does anybody tried it? It is necessary to use some bleach or any other product like iodophor in the water?

Aquarium heaters work great. Use a small splash of bleach to keep the water from getting stinky.

I do this for belgians, or even some ales in the winter.

It is not necessary to put anything in the water though. But it won't hurt.

Yup. Used mine to do a Belgian Golden Strong that needed to go from 65 up to 82 slowly over the course of 10-12 days (Jamil's recipe FTW!). And I usually put a splash of bleach in the water. Iodaphor will evaporate out over the course of a few hours, so I woulnd't bother with it. Bleach or a PH-based cleaner will be better.

i used one for my saison, and it worked great. I will have to try te bleach next time, because it wasn't pretty after a while.

bleach works. or circulate the water with a small pump/powerhead or airstone. when it sits stagnant it gets to smelling.

Just bought two. First one, accidentally got the 220V by accident. There is another one for 12v. And the one I wanted was 110v. I guess I have an extra for when I set up an electric brew rig.

At $21 each, its hard to go wrong.

You would want a pump of some sort in with that heater to circulate the water around or you won't get even heating around the fermenter. Starsan would be a good choice for keeping out the nasties.

No liquids. I am using a styrofoam fermentation cabinet I built. I will get a free craigslist chest freezer later for summer.

The original message is quite old :D
now I use a small pum to keep the liquid flowing around the fermenter, this set up I think keeps the temperature costant and helps the heat change between the water and the fermenter.

No starsan here in Italy so bleach is the only solution, but I think this is essential only for long fermentation like belgian beers, for a "normal" ale with 10 days of fermentation ( I do not use secondary fermenter) maybe bleatch is not really necessary if the water is continuosly mouved by a pump

Back