Oregon 2009 Hop Harvest - When?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxben

Reaction score
This is the first year for my hop plants, and I am surprised how many hops my vines grew in their first year. I have Magnum, Willamette Valley, & Mt. Hood hop vines. They are looking like they are just a couple of weeks away from harvest. They are beginning to have more of an aroma, and yellow lupin on the base. Just still a bit moist, and no brown tips yet...

Since this will be my first harvest, I want to correctly pick them on time, so I was wondering when others in the Oregon/NW area are predicting when they will be harvesting, if not harvested already...

I don't know what going on with my plants...I have a Willamette that is like 17 feet tall but only has one cone? So weird....when I look at everyone elses plants loaded with cones I can't help but think that something serious is wrong with my plant

Conventional wisdom has been that first year plants don't produce much of anything. The ones that do produce usually get photographed and shown off - don't worry about it. First year is about the root system.

I have a Magnum that has been wind damaged but still produced a few nice cones. More than likely less than an ounce dry. Have not taken them off yet as they have no aroma.

My Centennial has a bunch of smaller cones developing but not going to be much of a harvest. At least a month to go if it makes it.

Cascade was the big winner so far. Over 25ft tall and a lot of cones, some small some getting pretty big but none ready to pick yet as they don't smell like hops at all. I figure I am at least 2 weeks minimum from taking them off.

Due to space limitations in the garden area I doubt I will ever get a big enough yield to make the effort worthwhile financially. It is fun to screw around with it however.

I don't know what going on with my plants...I have a Willamette that is like 17 feet tall but only has one cone? So weird....when I look at everyone elses plants loaded with cones I can't help but think that something serious is wrong with my plant

Patients my son. One season does not a hop harvest make. You must look to the future for the harvest of you seek. And then you will find happiness.

I just picked mine. They were turning golden and the tips were browning. they have been papery for a few weeks.

I might of picked a bit early. But I do not know when I will have time to get out there again.

I did leave all the smaller buds that felt papery but had not browned any. I do not know if they will grow any more.

I have my hops growing vertically for about 6 feet and then horizontally about 15 feet.

Almost all of the hops are dangling across the horizontal section of the vines.

Could I cut the vine near the base and leave the hop flowers dangling from the vine to dry for a few days, then harvest and put straight into storage? (So long as it doesn't rain)

Is there any harm in leaving them on the cut vine?

From what I know, you do not want to dry in the sun...something about excessive drying and reactions with volatile compounds (homebrewer's garden book) and, its gonna rain on and off this week. You don't want to have them dry out and get wet again until you brew...that would cause mildew. If you don't want to pick the cones yet, you can cut the vine and hang it in a garage or basement for a few days without harm.

Has anyone harvested yet? Mine are look like they are really close, pretty dry/paper feel, brown tips, more aroma. I don't want to pick too early, think maybe one more week?

I harvested about 1/3 my neighbors Tettnanger, last Sunday and will do the rest this Sunday for a wet hop Ale. My Cascades are very close....just a few days I hope as I am planning to blend the Cascade and Tettnanger in the wet hop ale. Straight off the vine and into the kettle!

My Nugget look to be a week or two away from harvest. BTW I live in NE PDX, so yours should be ready soon!

The rule is to wait longer than you think...picking too early just leads to crappy hops that have little aroma or flavor. You need to see some browning on the cones and they should be very fragrant and easy to pick.

Back