(Raspberry?) Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacjohnson252

Reaction score
Grains

(80.0%) 10# Briess LME - Gold
(4.0%) .5# Crystal 10L
(12.%) 1.5# Roasted Barley
(4.0%) .5# Chocolate Malt

Hops
1.5 oz. Galena, pellet (alpha 12.2) 60 min
1.0 oz. Fuggle, pellet (alpha 4.8) 5 min

-----
1/2 hour steep for grains at 160 deg.
-----

I brewed this a little over 24 hours ago, so I know very little at this point. I decided to make this russian imperial with the idea of adding raspberries to the primary after the first fermentation had slowed. Any comments about this?

I was thinking of adding 3lbs. pureed, seeded, and pasteurized berries, with the hope of giving the beer a slight raspberry flavor/finish (not overpowering or over sweet) as well as a higher ABV.

I think this would have to age even longer with the berry addition, and that's OK, but any thoughts on the amount of berries, or on adding them at all? The people at my LHBS recommended using more berries than I would for a lighter beer (I used 3lbs. blueberries for a blueberry wiezenbier that has a very strong blueberry flavor) since the flavor of the russian imperial stout is so strong and a lot for the berry flavor to have to come through.

Any thoughts/comments would be great!

I've parked this here for the time being. The recipe db is for tried and true recipes.

Once you've tasted it and are happy with it we can move it back to the recipe db. :mug:

Latest posts

Back