Post if you're brewing today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.5 gallons of something. Gotta decide in the next half-hour. Any suggestions?

Im on the Fence, I have nothing to do until 6:07pm The Lhbs is 2 Min from my house. Do I want to sit on my rump or........Go through the work of brewing?

Went to the HBS, I now have my first partial mash going. Sort of a traditional-inspired IPA:

Target OG: 1066
Harden water a bit beyond normal (I added 2 tsp gypsum)
Mini-mash: 2 lbs Marris Otter + 8 oz biscuit malt
7 lbs pale DME

Hops to 64 IBU:
4 oz Fuggles @60min
1 oz Fuggles @10min
1 oz Fuggles @flameout
1 oz Fuggles dry-hop

Wyeast 1028

When that's done, I have a Cali common to do today too. :ban:

It's 32 and coudy in AK. But i might brew a smoked stout just because MT REDOUBT is going to be dumping ash all over Alaska. Might be a nice touch?

We just had a near catastrophe. As I was stirring in my second infusion I noticed my steel braid swimming around freely in the mash. The solution was easy enough though, at the end of the sacc rest I dumped the entire mash into my bottling bucket, fixed the braid back onto the hose barb, and dumped the whole mash back into the MLT. A little extra vorlauf and we're right back on track. I don't really believe in HSA anyway; I use a drill/paint stirrer to stir my mash.

Just getting the wort up to a boil. I'm using FermcapS for the first time, and no sign of a boil over!

Oops! The trash people are going to hate me. I dumped my grains into a trash bag. Right when I was about to throw it down the trash chute, I thought, "maybe I should double bag this." Being lazy, I just chucked it down. I definately heard the bag rip open a few floors down. Hot grain cascading down 12 floors. I just hope no chutes were open on the lower floors!

Local Magazine is interviewing me and I'm demo-ing a brew at a liqueur store in about 2 hours. Doing a Belgium Strong Pale Ale.

They want to dispel the "Home Brew" flavor so I'm also giving out samples of a Porter and a Scottish Heavy

Thats awesome! What do they mean by "homebrew flavor". Are they just trying to prove that home brewed beer can be good?

A beautiful day on the west coast - sunny and 9c (48F).

Woke up at 7:30, put the water on, back to bed for 45 more (using ceramic cooktop). About to fire the IC into an English bitter with Perle for bittering and Cascade/Willamette blend for flavour.

If all things go well, I'll be pitching by 12:30 pm and have the rest of the day.

Westmalle Tripel clone from "Clonebrews". Great book.

That's a great recipe as well. I've done that one a few times, now.

Today, I brewed an IPA. this one will have bourbon soaked toasted oak cubes in the secondary. Yummy.
Then I made 1.5# of Mozzarella.
Tomorrow I'm brewing another Kolsch.

Local Magazine is interviewing me and I'm demo-ing a brew at a liqueur store in about 2 hours. Doing a Belgium Strong Pale Ale.

They want to dispel the "Home Brew" flavor so I'm also giving out samples of a Porter and a Scottish Heavy

If it's going to be in print, please...belgiaN strong pale ale.

Left the house to buy ingredients at 9:45 AM; I'm 20 minutes into the boil for the 2nd beer of the day (onto the Cali common now, the IPA's in primary).

Probably doing a BIAB this evening. I bought the material at the fabric store today but only my wife is qualified to operate the sewing machine.

Shooting for an IPA or something along those lines.

No I won't be no-chilling but less anyone consider me anti-Australian, I am excited to try the BIAB thing.

Possibly trying to use up some crushed grains tonight so I can use my newly arriving crusher/ingredients next weekend:rockin:

I'll be pushing the limits on crushed grains vacuum sealed.

Very cool, always good to get positive press!

One time was enough for me with the double header brew day. Kudos to you.

I think I'll be done and cleaned up in about 6.5 hours, including the trip to the LHBS before I got going. 1st one was a partial mash, then while it boiled I steeped the grains for the 2nd one (extract + specialty).

I only have one 5-gallon brew kettle but the steeping of 2 gallons was manageable and meant that I had 2 gallons close to boiling as soon as the first batch was chilled and the pot was cleaned. Topping it off cooled it down some, but still basically 10-15 minutes until I had a boil and I was into my 60-minute countdown.

Brewing up a porter right now. Will be adding some Brewer's Gold for bittering in a few minutes. Kind of a crappy day here in SE Mass. - sprinkling on and off, cloudy, and windy. I set up the canopy tent just in case. I hope to brew up a pale ale tomorrow if my aching back will let me.

Did the Founder's Breakfast Stout clone from last month's BYO today...

I hope it comes out well, because it was a hell on earth brew day...

I have just started cooling 5.5 gallons of Irish Red Ale. My second AG!

I am so happy, I took my SG before boil and I got a bit higher SG than the recipe. I think I fixed my MLT problems and got a halfway decent efficiency on this batch. It smells so good!

I am also testing the fountain pump wort chiller set-up. It is way too windy out there today to take it outdoors to cool off with the garden hose in the wort chiller...

Obligatory money shot!

IMG_37431.jpg

Back