Bottling a Tripple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubbaK

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle a Belgian Tripple. OG was 1.093 and FG was 1.014. It sat in primary for 3 weeks and will be in secondary for 2-3 weeks. The secondary has been kept at about 63*F and its clearing up really nice. Come bottle time, I plan on sticking it in the garage overnight to chill it a bit more before bottling. According to the mfg of the kit, I can bottle in normal bottles without trouble. It came with a pre-measured priming sugar pack. I've seen comments about people adding a pinch of yeast to the bottling bucket on the higher alcohol beers.. I've only bottled lower gravity ales so far.

Am I going to have enough yeast to sufficiently bottle? If I add yeast, will I have too much carbonation? Should it be the same yeast as what I brewed with? should I still keep at 70* for the first 2-3 weeks after bottling?

You shouldn't have to add more yeast. There will be more than enough yeast left to carbonate. When people are adding yeast, it is becaused they bulk aged in secondary for a long time (6+ months).

Yes, you want to keep it at 70* for at least 3 weeks after bottling. When it reaches the carbonation you want then you can cool them down. Just remember those puppies may need some extended aging before drinking.

I plan on letting this sit in the bottles for a while... Last I tasted it, it had a very strong alcohol taste.. I'm hoping that will go away with age... I've got a few brews going so I can leave this one alone without desire to drink..

I plan on letting this sit in the bottles for a while... Last I tasted it, it had a very strong alcohol taste.. I'm hoping that will go away with age... I've got a few brews going so I can leave this one alone without desire to drink..

Out of curiosity, what temperature did you pitch at?

Back