Crystal for Fuggles hops Hmmm..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delarob

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using Crystal hops for Fuggles in certain applications?

I'm not talking complete substitution, but rather as a dry hop, or finishing addition. I'm aware that the Crystal is more suitable where you would use Hallertau, Mt. Hood or Liberty, but they seem a little similar on paper.

I've got a pilsner resting in the fridge that I'm dry hopping with 2oz of Crystal for sh*ts and giggles.

Although I wouldn't consider it a substitute for Fuggle, it would probably be a better choice for your Pilsner. I'd use an ounce for a week, then check the flavor/aroma.

Completely different flavors... However, I use Crystal in pilsners all the time. Tasty stuff.

I actually love crystal as a dry hop for a pale ale I have made. I may try some as a flavor addition, too.

From what I've read, the flavor is very mild and that would suit me fine. I'm not a hophead at all, and I don't enjoy the IPAs much because the bitterness really hits me hard in the heartburn department.

A buddy gave me a lb as a gift and I've been looking to use it somehow as I see it doesn't have a great shelf life.

I was thinking just that David. A week or two should be just enough to give it a nice edge.

Back