New Zealand Hops, Any Users?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyndenP

Reaction score
On a recent trip to my LHBS i noticed they had all sorts of ne hops in from NZ. One of them in particular was Super Alpha. Now i was wondering has anyone had experiences using any of the New Zealand hops and what they thought of them. If there is a thread that exists point it my way, i searched but came up empty.:mug:

I've used New Zealand Pacific Gem, which I really like. It's high alpha (>14%) so it bitters well, but it also has a unique blackberry flavor and aroma. I made an all Pac Gem APA that is really nice.

I also have some New Zealand Saaz (8% AA) in my freezer. Not sure what I'll use it in, though.

I have some NZ Hallertauer, going to make a southern hemisphere wheat

I am a huge fan of the Nelson Sauvin hop. I never got what they say about it having similarities to a type of wine. I get a more strong grapefruit citrus aroma if anything, i remember a few years ago the first pound i got in the mail when i ripped them open and gave a whiff i said to myself "this is the hop aroma i have been looking for" it was like a punch in the face much stronger than other varieties when you smell them in raw form, And it carries over to the finish product very well.

I will soon bottle a 2-row + Riwaka SMaSH. The hopping schedule for my brew is pretty aggressive and i can't wait. During the boil i was getting LOTS of cirusy tones.

Back