Should Fermcap-s look like this???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theKman

Reaction score
I'm brewing Northern Brewers Saison Noire, and I'm using Fermcap-s for the first time. It's a very thick milky white, I mean, it looks like baby batter. It says to add 2 drops per gallon at fermentation, but I'm not sure I can even distinguish "drops" it's so thick. Any help would be appreciated, as I'll be pitching the yeast in about 2 hours.

anyone in the greater Seattle area know of a good place to get some of this locally? I'm curious now and want to try it but i'm loath to order online if I can avoid the shipping costs. Of course with the price of gas these days i'm likely to find its actually cheaper...:mad:

I got something that's supposed to be "the same" from my LHBS in Everett. But it comes in a little bottle that looks like an airplane bottle of booze and the instructions say to empty the whole bottle into your batch.

Thanks for the info. I've used the powdered stuff before from AHS, and couldn't believe how well it controlled the krausen. No mess is a beautiful thing. I'm now a believer in the stuff.

You can't go wrong with those ferm drops. Before I upgraded my brew kettle, I could boil 7 gallons of wort in a 7.5 gallon without stroking out from fear of a boilover. :rockin:

My experience has been that it does not make it from the boil kettle into the fermenter (using a plate chiller). It DOES help a lot with preventing boilovers which is why I got it in the first place.

I got something that's supposed to be "the same" from my LHBS in Everett. But it comes in a little bottle that looks like an airplane bottle of booze and the instructions say to empty the whole bottle into your batch.

hmmm yeah I don't shop there anymore, mostly I go to Larry's in Kent but i'll make the trip for some actual Fermcap.

I use Foam Control and add it to my kettle only and it is still effective in the carboy. I picked it up from Hoptech I think.

Back