Beer floats....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Been a big fan of Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter for a while... Made a comment to another beer-o-phile at a party and he mentioned using it in a beer float with some vanilla ice cream...

So last night at Taco Mac, I ordered one along with a pint glass of ice cream... The waiter looked at me like I had a third eye growing out of my forehead, and then gets a big poop eating grin on his face... As he delivers it to the table, he let us know that a few servers and bartenders were intrigued by the idea and planned on trying it out later...

Needless to say, it was wonderful...

Anyone else have a suggestion to try this with? Beer-o-phile friend mentioned Rogue's Hazelnut Brown...

:mug:

I told that to my wife, thinking that she would think it was kind of wierd. All she said was it tastes really good............What do I know ???
I guess in the summer time, they sometimes do that in Germany.

An ice cream place in Chapel Hill, NC used to make beer-flavored ice cream from the local micro when I lived there. It was rough on its own, but great in a beer float. Guiness works decently, but a sweet stout like Young's would be best. Saranac occasionally makes a Caramel Porter that would be great.

A friend told me about Newcastle over his ice cream years ago. Shortly thereafter I had some Breyers vanilla with a Saranac Black Forest Stout and it was wonderful.

Not something I do often, but I wouldn't hesitate. I've also been talking about mixing a bottle of the Chai Porter that finished too high into a batch of homemade ice cream. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Yardhouse out in california has beer floats with either Young's Chocolate stout or Rasberry Framboise. Havent tried them but i dont see why it wouldnt be a good thing...

Just tried my Weizen out of the keg and if I added some vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream and a cherry, I could make a great banana split float... Darned esters from high fermenting temps... (chiller should be ready by this weekend...)

My milk stout will be ready in a couple weeks and I am going to make up some of my famous 'Serious Vanilla Ice Cream' (actually, Alton Brown's famous 'Serious Vanilla Ice Cream') to go with it. I am REALLY looking forward to this.

In case anyone's interested, this ice cream is easy (no eggs) and delicious. Just don't skimp and use vanilla extract :cross:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_144,00.html

Had some homebrew imperial stout with dark chocolate ice cream and threw it in the blender for a shake this week. More ice creamy on the top and stouty on the bottom. Complexity from beer stays around. I used a cellar temp. stout so the shake wasn't too cold for the beer flavors to come out.

I'd definitely say Young's DCS would be an awesome candidate for Vanilla or some serious Chocolate ice cream. How about some Chocolate Cherry ice cream? I was eating Halva and drinking some of that last weekend.

Surprised there's no more love for a Framboise ice cream float or something.

Past Homebrewer of the Year, David Pyle, was making Gueze-sicles (gueze with Vanilla ice-cream) at NHC this year with 5 year old Gueze (that would be 8, 7, and 6 year old lambic, blended). It was phenomenal.

How about a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a good pumpkin stout? Kinda like pumpkin pie and ice cream? Think I'll try that out. :ban:

Surprised there's no more love for a Framboise ice cream float or something.

RFD in D.C. serves Framboise floats. HWMO loved it!

I may have to try this tonight with some vanilla ice cream and the Tommy Knocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale and see how that goes. YUM! :mug:

I'm surprised no one has suggest using an Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing. I tried this over the summer, and the vanilla does an excellent job of mellowing some of the more powerful flavors.

How about a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a good pumpkin stout? Kinda like pumpkin pie and ice cream? Think I'll try that out. :ban:

I'm making a pumpkin spice vanilla porter that will be paired with my roommates homemade ice cream. Likely graham cracker crust in vanilla. :)

I'm surprised no one has suggest using an Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing. I tried this over the summer, and the vanilla does an excellent job of mellowing some of the more powerful flavors.

Welcome oldwoman!

We don't get much west coast stuff out my way :D. I have never tried anything from North Coast, Russian River, Bear Republic, etc, etc.

Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar + Vanilla Ice Cream...

:ban:
:rockin:

Gotta talk SWMBO into sacrificing hers for this. Got a bomber of it and the Chocolate stout when I was buying some beers this past weekend. Drank the chocolate lat night. Probably would have been good as well. Just hard to "experiment" with your only bottle especially when you've never had it before.

I have plenty of Chocolate hazelnut porter we can try though woohoo

I actually made a batch of porter with a bit of vanilla and coffee just so that I can have a beer float after my thanksgiving dinner. It is in the basement coming together now, it's almost 3 months old.

Dead thread resurrection here...

After trying Avery's The Czar on top at a local haunt, I am determined to find some as a candidate for a beer float...

:mug:

Back