Natural Gas unit cost for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpal

Reaction score
Last Jan I converted my system to NG and never looked back for all the obvious reasons: never run out, no trips for refills, etc.

Recently with the burner at full throttle I went to gas meter to gauge how many cubic feet/min of gas it was pulling. Looking at my bill (NW Natural) I tried to figure the cost of running the burner, but it only shows "units" of gas, not the CF of the meter.

If I read the bill right and compare with the dials on the gas meter, it looks like a "unit" is equal to 1,000 CF. Can anyone confirm this?

If so, my fuel costs per batch would be pretty small compared to propane. :)

Here in canada our meters are in cubic meters and the meter reads .05 of a meter or about 1.7 cubic feet. 1000 CF seems way too high for a meter reading. 1000 CF is 28.3 Cm. In january I normally use about 10.5 Cm a day. If I had to guess each unit would be at most 10CF. maybe a gas man is on here an can tell us for certain.

John

The residential gas meters Northwest Natural Gas Co. use indicate cubic feet used, Btu's in the cubic foot of natural gas in your area are 1047. You will probably see a unit called a therm on your bill which is 100,000 Btu's of energy delivered, which is equal to one gallon of propane.

Thanks.

Finally got through to customer service which confirmed that a "unit" of gas is 100 CF. The back of the envelope calculations estimate that the gas bill for a brew day here (50 gal) is about $3-$4. :rockin:

Back