Persimmon In Mash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I want to experiment with very ripe persimmon in a mash, or secondary. Anyone used these in beer before?

gabe said:
I want to experiment with very ripe persimmon in a mash, or secondary. Anyone used these in beer before?
Use it in the secondary... I just bottled a papaya pilsner I put two Papayaes in the secondary. You can just barely taste the papaya.

I love persimmon cookies. Count me as a subscriber to this thread. This would have to be better than a pumpkin brew.

Thinking of doing a porter or a brown ale with persimmon in the mash and secondary. Just wondering if the pulp will create problems lautering or in the finished product. I'll keep you up to date.

gabe said:
Thinking of doing a porter or a brown ale with persimmon in the mash and secondary. Just wondering if the pulp will create problems lautering or in the finished product. I'll keep you up to date.
Then you would be boiling the fruit juices which will change the flavor and bring out unwanted flavors. Never boil fruit

Why pumkin in the mash then? I thought it was okay and was going to treat it like a pumkin brew.

gabe said:
Why pumkin in the mash then? I thought it was okay and was going to treat it like a pumkin brew.
Fruit has pectin, which causes haze. You also have more control over how long the fruit is in contact with wort so you can control the flavor.

In a brown or porter I don't think I care about haze?! I think I will go with the secondary anyway. Just remember reading somthing from Jamil about putting pumpkin in the mash and thought if pumpkin can go in , why not persimmon?

Also, persimmon has a much more delicate flavor that, if added to the mash, will likely boil away later or gain a "cooked" flavor. Adding it to the secondary will produce a much fresher flavor without the risk of haze or becoming ruined in the boil.

Side note: I do care about haze in my darker beers. I really enjoy holding one up to the light and seeing the gorgeous ruby and mahogany colors shining through rather than having a muddy, murky brown beer.

I forgot to mention the reason that pumpkin is usually added to the mash - pumpkin benefits from mashing. It contains starches that can be converted to sugar, and in a pumpkin beer, you want a cooked pumpkin flavor. Raw pumpkin is a bit like raw potato - not so good. In fact, I roast the pumpkin before it even hits the mash in order to bring out some caramel notes and stronger pumpkin pie like flavors.

Good point Yuri. I like clear beers as well , but feel if it is cloudy I'd rather it be in a dark beer than a lighter colored one. Thanks for the insight. By the way, Happy New Year to you and all fellow HBT brewers. I raise a glass of Sweet Stout to you and yours.

Back