Bad milling job from HBS what can i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I do not have a mill so i ordered my malt crushed ..problem is they did not do a good job milling..What can i do?

I would not except an inadequate crush. I would send it back. If they give you any resistance and don't cover the shipping cost I would take my business elsewhere.

Cookie sheet and rolling pin, and lots of sweat :(

What makes you say they didn't do a good job milling? I've had milled grain settle a ton in shipping leaving a bunch of flour on the bottom and the larger chunks on top. Makes the crush look poor at first but it still made fine brew.

What makes you say they didn't do a good job milling? I've had milled grain settle a ton in shipping leaving a bunch of flour on the bottom and the larger chunks on top. Makes the crush look poor at first but it still made fine brew.

I was just thinking the same thing....

Cause i looked at the grains very closely and 85% are not even cracked..the rest are just split

If you have a food processor, then an alternative would be to do this brew as a BIAB. Pulse the grain a couple times in the food processor and proceed using the BIAB method. Don't turn it to dust but break it up good. Turn this batch from a 50-60% efficiency batch into an 80%+ efficiency batch.

Dont' sweat it too much. Split the grain into ziploc bags and use a rolling pin or wine bottle to crush it a bit. I've had to do this a couple times.

Back