Storing hops w/o a foodsaver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
In light of the soon-to-be increase in hops I think I'm with a lot of people who are about to buy some hops in bulk.

My question is, how should you store them w/o a foodsaver? I know to keep them in the freezer and all of that but what should they actually be in?

Would sandwich bags in a large glass jar do it or do I need something else? I was thinking about antistatic bags like these bc thats what the hop bags remind me of.

Or would freezer bags be fine?

I just don't know...

I am going to use airtight containers (probably cheap ones from Ikea), purge them with CO2 before sealing.

I use freezer bags. CO2 purge, squeeze & zip. Then put the small bags in a big one.

Oxygen is the primary enemy of the aromatics in hops. Polyvinylidene chloride (PVdC) is the industry standard for low oxygen permeable polymers. PVdC is easy and cheap to find in Saran Wrap......not the cheap sticky crap mind you, but the real McCoy, Saran Wrap. An even better option (if you can afford it) is Mylar MC2, a sandwiched product made of aluminum film between 2 layers of PVdC. This is the polymer in which your hops are probably originally sealed in. Of course, you can always go the cheap route of wrapping your hops in Saran Wrap, then aluminum foil, then another layer of Saran Wrap. I guess they think we are idiots, and cant figure this **** out for ourselves.

use a plastic ziplock freezer bag and suck all of the air out of it. i've gotten pretty good at getting it nice and tight around the hops. i have a vaccum sealer at werk, tho, which i should probably be using :cross:

Back