Turkey fryer pot mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryfi

Reaction score
I have been doing this the past few brews thought I would share. My lhbs sometimes package my base malts in a briess 3 wall paper bag which I have been using to insulate my pot during the mash. It has worked quiet well only a 1-2 degree drop.

ForumRunner_20130116_184934.jpg

ForumRunner_20130116_185001.jpg

I used to use beach towels but this is just one less thing to clean. Definitely works better than nothing. I also like it better because there is no place for the heat to escape from the top.

One of my pending projects is to buy some Reflectex insulation and sew a "hat" to put over my mash tun, much like you are doing with the bag above, but with actual insulation material. There was a thread a few years ago here on the forum of a guy that did one. I have a single-tier BIAB stand, so that would make it so I never have to move the tun (right now I put it on the ground and wrap it in moving blankets). The thread reported that this guy lost 1.2 degrees in 60 minutes in 40F weather with this Reflectex hat.

It would be like a $20.00 project, I just don't exactly know how to sew :) so I've been putting it off!

Back