Banana wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxwader

Reaction score
I've got my first batch of banana wine in the fermenter. However the starting gravity appears to be 1.120. I see most fruit wines should start around 1.070. Is this acceptable? I followed what I believe to be a good recipe from a solid source. What will be the outcome if it is way to high?

waxwader said:
I've got my first batch of banana wine in the fermenter. However the starting gravity appears to be 1.120. I see most fruit wines should start around 1.070. Is this acceptable? I followed what I believe to be a good recipe from a solid source. What will be the outcome if it is way to high?

Not all fruit are created equal. You bananas were probably high in sugar. Regardless of the recipe, check the SG as you add sugar.

You'll be fine, probably will take a while to age out.

You should be fine, but just watch for a stall and be prepared. Banana wine takes a good 1 to 2 years to come into its own.

That's my kinda wine. :drunk:

I'm aware of the long aging process with this one. How do I fight a stall if I get one?

Repitch a good yeast EC1118 or KV1116 usually do the trick. But you can help prevent by stirring up to twice daily, no airlock until SG drops by 2/3, use primary bucket with lid just resting in place, staggered nutrient dosing, proper temp.

I started with 1/2 tsp yeast energizer. Should I add more ? When?

All energizer is not the same on dosing, follow recommendations on pkg...though LD Carlson is 1/2 tsp per gallon. You can dose again at 1/3 sugar break. Did you use a yeast nutrient preferment? Did you use the banana skins?

Well after 24 hours since pitching the yeast the gravity has fallen to 1.100. Looks like I'm headed in the right direction.

Waxwader: What was the recipe you used? I'm planning on starting one tomorrow...

Saramc: I don't suppose you know what the purpose of including the skins is? I would think it would add less tasty elements--I mean, there's a reason you don't eat the peel...

Here is the recipe I used

3# bananas including peel from every other banana.
1/2# golden raisins
2# sugar
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectin enzyme
1 tbs acid blend
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1 pk Montrachet yeast

waxwader said:
Here is the recipe I used

3# bananas including peel from every other banana.
1/2# golden raisins
2# sugar
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectin enzyme
1 tbs acid blend
1/4 tsp wine tannin
1 pk Montrachet yeast

As soon as I transfer this one to the secondary I'm going to try this one again. This time I will only add enough sugar to get to approx 1.085 gravity.

As soon as I transfer this one to the secondary I'm going to try this one again. This time I will only add enough sugar to get to approx 1.085 gravity.

Good idea. you might try a yeast with some different characteristics, though. Then you have the option of blending the wines at the end to increase complexity. Just a thought.

Update: I racked to the secondary and the gravity readings were 1.014 and falling from 1.029 24 hrs earlier. Yeast lasted a whole lot longer than I expected.

Waxwader: What was the recipe you used? I'm planning on starting one tomorrow...

Saramc: I don't suppose you know what the purpose of including the skins is? I would think it would add less tasty elements--I mean, there's a reason you don't eat the peel...

The skins are nutrient loaded. When you use skins that are well spotted with black they do not impart any bitter aspect. Just cut off the top and the bottom. If you have a nutrient poor must, toss in a few uber ripe banana peels. I now keep them in the freezer. Plus they do add banana flavor and are packed with enzyme, which is one reason you find wines made with banana skins clear so rapidly.

Back