American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the cold crash today. OG of 1.069, down to 1.012, for an attenuation of about 82% and ABV of 7.48%. A little higher than what I was going for, but it still tastes incredible. Really looking forward to getting this one kegged.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, did this with a 30 minute mash and 30 minute boil, no chill, no secondary. Living on the edge!

Just kegged a batch based on this recipe. Tried a sample and it tasted great, aroma was intense. Mods where as follows, added 1 lbs cane sugar toward end of boil, used newport for 90 minute hops, upped the IBUs to 100+, and used BRY-97 yeast. OG 1.078, FG 1.015 ... so this is been moded into a completely different beer, but should get me in the ballpark of zombie dust flavor and aroma. Never had the original anyways, thanks to the OP and all others who contributed.

just kegged this after 5days in the dry hop but I just dumped the hops on top and didn't stir so I didn't get the full 3oz of hops in the dry hop. oh well means I need to make this again this weekend

Lost almost a gallon due to trub before racking to secondary to dry hop. Note to self: modify recipe to yield an extra gallon next time.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414106755.789541.jpg
Only four days into bottle conditioning. Good head. Tastes interesting as my buddy and I dry hopped with 1oz Citra leaf and 2oz Galaxy pellets. Very drinkable but like the original better

I'd taken the recipe and rounded things up, shooting for a 1.071 OG.

But I didn't brew it. I had a friend over who wanted to learn how to brew, so I had him do all the brewing. Unfortunately, he was far more gentle than I am when it came time to batch sparge, and my OG ended up at 1.062. Not bad, but a reminder that Yooper knows what she's talking about when she says to stir it like it owes you money.

Was intrigued when I discovered this post. The hop head I am, I enjoyed reading through some of the posts. On my trip to Chicago this past weekend, we stopped in Indiana to get some booze. Just so happened that the liquor store had a "make your own 6 pack," and they had a few bottles of ZD in the cooler. I was stoked, so grabbed 2 and after cracking them before heading out for the night, this was a really great tasting beer. I plan to brew this clone next!

I just moved to the keg 2 days ago on mine from my conical... Big word of caution when using pellet hops to dry hop with... If you are using a conical, it may plug up both ports (which it did to mine... I ended up having to rack it out.

Taste is good, i strained because I had a ton of hop matter that I didnt want to go into my kegs... Introduced CO2 during racking process to drive off any potential oxygen exposure...

Keg is going to sit for 1 week at 12psi with my gelatine and let it settle out... Take a small amount out to clear the dip-tube and then let it sit one more week... Should be pretty awesome when done.

This is a forgiving recipe. Messed up and milled 1lb melanoidin malt, and missed the Munich altogether. Did a PM BIAB using 7lb 12oz pale malt and 3lb extra light DME along with the crystal malts. Did 22 days in primary, 6 day dry hop with citra pellets.
10 days after bottling and this sucker is huge. A pure hop bomb. Cheers!

Sorry not a great picture, but its fairly clear and has nice lacing... Would have liked a tad more maltiness than what I got, but when I brew again, i'll increase the mash temperature up a few degrees. Other than that it came out fantastic!

10302160_10100740731235849_4494188900458966054_n.jpg

Would have liked a tad more maltiness than what I got, but when I brew again, i'll increase the mash temperature up a few degrees.

I feel the same way. Never had a ZD, so this may be the way it's supposed to taste. But I'd rather have something more to my liking than a dead ringer clone.

My buddy and I have been going strong with this recipe. We've made a few adjustments here and there but in a few weeks we're going back to the original recipe but looking to rock out nine gallons. Before we get started, I wanted to touch base on a couple of things. Thanks for any information you can provide to help balance things out. On a quick aside, we're doing the no-sparge, BIAB method.

1) Conversion

To start, we've done the math and have settled on increasing the original grain/hop bill by 1.5% (original weight/grain x 9/6 (1.5)). This balanced out to:

Two Row → 17.63 lbs
Munich → 1.7 lbs
Carafoam → .75 lbs
Caramel 60 → .75 lbs
Melanoiden → .75 lbs
Total Weight → 21.58 lbs

Citra FWH: 1.125 oz
Citra Boil: 1.875 oz @ 15, 10, 5, and 1
Citra Dry Hop: 4.5 oz
Total Hop: 13.125 oz

Seeing as this is the first time that we've needed to make an adjustment, does this look correct with TWO packs of re-hydrated S-04

2) Hop in the Mash

After having a conversation with a brewer at the local home brew shop, we were introduced to the thought of adding hops to the mash to help set the bitter/flavor before the boil begins. We've never done this but the thought intrigued both of us because, like many of you, are HUGE Citra lovers.

If we were to add to the Citra to the mash, what would our target amount be and how would it effect the mash going into the boil? We would still be doing the FWH addition.

3) Fermenting (Perhaps better asked in another thread?)

We currently have only five and six gallon carboys/brewing buckets. We'd rather have a large batch like this ferment in one vessel instead of two, but if we cannot acquire a vessel large enough by the time we do this, should we worry about splitting the batch across two five-gallon carboys? Are there pros or cons to either, and how would the yeast be pitched (one per vessel or mass pitched and then split/siphoned between each)?

Again, thanks in advance for any info you can provide! We've done four runs of this already; the first three have been great while the last is fermenting now.

My buddy and I have been going strong with this recipe. We've made a few adjustments here and there but in a few weeks we're going back to the original recipe but looking to rock out nine gallons. Before we get started, I wanted to touch base on a couple of things. Thanks for any information you can provide to help balance things out. On a quick aside, we're doing the no-sparge, BIAB method.

1) Conversion

To start, we've done the math and have settled on increasing the original grain/hop bill by 1.5% (original weight/grain x 9/6 (1.5)). This balanced out to:

Two Row → 17.63 lbs
Munich → 1.7 lbs
Carafoam → .75 lbs
Caramel 60 → .75 lbs
Melanoiden → .75 lbs
Total Weight → 21.58 lbs

Citra FWH: 1.125 oz
Citra Boil: 1.875 oz @ 15, 10, 5, and 1
Citra Dry Hop: 4.5 oz
Total Hop: 13.125 oz

Seeing as this is the first time that we've needed to make an adjustment, does this look correct with TWO packs of re-hydrated S-04. Looks more like ~150%:drunk: 2 packs should work

2) Hop in the Mash

After having a conversation with a brewer at the local home brew shop, we were introduced to the thought of adding hops to the mash to help set the bitter/flavor before the boil begins. We've never done this but the thought intrigued both of us because, like many of you, are HUGE Citra lovers.

If we were to add to the Citra to the mash, what would our target amount be and how would it effect the mash going into the boil? We would still be doing the FWH addition.

I haven't heard enough good things about mash hopping to ever mess with it (with exception to no-boil berliner weisse)

3) Fermenting (Perhaps better asked in another thread?)

We currently have only five and six gallon carboys/brewing buckets. We'd rather have a large batch like this ferment in one vessel instead of two, but if we cannot acquire a vessel large enough by the time we do this, should we worry about splitting the batch across two five-gallon carboys? Are there pros or cons to either, and how would the yeast be pitched (one per vessel or mass pitched and then split/siphoned between each)?

Again, thanks in advance for any info you can provide! We've done four runs of this already; the first three have been great while the last is fermenting now.
I would just split it evenly into 2, then pitch 1 pack of yeast per fermenter

I tried this for my first brew. Put it in the primary on 11/2/2014 and it's been sitting there for 10 days at about 64-65 degrees. My OG was 1.067. I am really new to this and would appreciate it if you guys could give me some guidance. I had no bubbling in the airlock after 40 hours so I popped open the lid (I know this should always be avoided, but it was my first brew and I just wanted to ensure fermentation was taking place) and saw Krausen (see pic) so I think it was on the right track (that was 8 days ago).

file.php

What temp do you recommend trying to cool the wort to before transferring to fermenter? I did an ice bath and it took me about 30-35 min to get it down to 77 and I thought that was sufficient.

I used 1 pack of S-04 yeast that I activated in 1 cup of boiled water that I let cool down before adding the yeast. Should I change anything here? How long should you let the yeast sit before pitching?

Do you recommend keeping it in the primary or transferring to a secondary? If transferring to a secondary, should I do that at 2 weeks? Should I be using a yeast starter?

How long from brew should I wait before transferring it to a keg?

I should first check the FG after 2 weeks, correct?

I am thinking about force carbing. What PSI should I do that at? Does anyone have any links to articles or videos of someone force-carbing the correct way? I have seen so many different methods out there.

If I force carb there is no point in adding priming sugar, correct?

How long does it need to condition in the keg before it is ready to drink? (this is obviously dependent on your prior answers)

Your help is very much appreciated!,
Rusty the newbie

Ideally, you want to get the wort down to fermentation temperature before pitching your yeast. Check the yeast's ideal temperature ranges and try to get to the lower end of the range.

I only use a quarter cup of water to rehydrate dry yeast. I let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes depending on how quickly it dissolves in the water.

No need for secondary.

You can transfer it to a keg to keg condition once it reaches final gravity. I would leave it in the fermenter for at least 2 if not 3 weeks before transferring to a keg. Then I would let it sit unrefrigerated in the keg for at least another week or two. Be sure to purge with CO2 after the transfer to the keg.

I don't completely force carb. I set the keg at 30 psi for 24 hours, then purge the CO2 and reset at 10 psi for about a week. Seems to work fine.

If you force carb there is no need to add priming sugar. However, you can do so if you plan to keg condition for a week or two so it is already carbed when you hook it up to the gas. You would be killing two birds while you wait (carbing and conditioning).

For this beer, I waited 6 weeks total, but it kept getting better with age.

I'd say check the gravity after 2 weeks and see where you are. Mine finished in two weeks. I transferred to secondary for the dry hop. I too keg and almost always transfer to secondary or at least cold crash to keep as much trub out of the keg as possible. As far as force carbing. I set the psi to 30 and rock the keg back and forth for a minute or two. Then I'll let it sit overnight, come back the next day and do the same thing. I'll relieve the pressure and take a sample on the third day to check the carb. It usually only takes two days to force carb in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After fermenting a full 2+ weeks, I pulled a gravity sample to make sure it was done. It was. I boiled a hop bag to sanitize it, filled with 1.5 ounces of Citra* and a hunk of stainless steel, and dropped it in.

The gravity sample I pulled went into a plastic soda bottle (a cleaned 20oz A&W bottle). I squeezed out all of the air, capped it with a carbonator cap, and put it on 12psi. After the bottle was good and cold in the fridge, I'd give it a shake now and again.

Well, that sample may have gotten pulled before the dry hopping, but damn it smells and tastes pretty darned good!

After dry hop #2*, it's onto a good cold crash, complements of Wisconsin's balmy weather, before I keg this.

* I'm following McNair's Hop-Fu schedule of splitting the dry hop in two - the first 1.5 ounces for six days, the second 1.5 ounces for the final three, which I'll do tomorrow night.

:eek: WOW! I don't think my liquor store charges THAT much. But they do make you buy a minimum of $20 in other stuff if you wanna buy ZB. That would happen anyway though.

His $82 was the case and a 6 pack. That's 30 bottles in there, he my brew partner and I hate him, too, right now.

Let's call it our control...if he doesn't drink it all up this weekend.

:eek: WOW! I don't think my liquor store charges THAT much. But they do make you buy a minimum of $20 in other stuff if you wanna buy ZB. That would happen anyway though.

His $82 was the case and a 6 pack. That's 30 bottles in there, he my brew partner and I hate him, too, right now.

Let's call it our control...if he doesn't drink it all up this weekend.

This looks like a great recipe, thanks for posting it up :)

I've read through a fair few pages of the thread, and seeing that this is an all Citra adventure, I was wondering if anyone had bastardized this and done other hops, like for instance an all Cascade version?
I've got a bunch of hops that I need to use up and was thinking that this could be a good base to do that, thoughts?

I've done a similar recipe with all cascade that turned out awesome. 1 oz fwh, 2 oz 5 min, 5 oz hop stand at 180F, dry hop 4 oz.

I've read through a fair few pages of the thread, and seeing that this is an all Citra adventure, I was wondering if anyone had bastardized this and done other hops, like for instance an all Cascade version?
I've got a bunch of hops that I need to use up and was thinking that this could be a good base to do that, thoughts?

I have a version with all Nelson Sauvin instead of all Citra on tap right now, turned out pretty tasty, but different than the all Citra. Cascade is a bit lower AA, so you might have to increase the hops to get the same effect.

We've made adjustments here and there. We did a batch with Citra boil and Galaxy in dry hop and did 1oz Galaxy/.25 Citra for the 15, 10, 5, 1 additions.

I can't speak of the last as it's got some time in fermentation, but the Galaxy dry hopped run was mighty tasty. It added some dryness that the full-Citra batch doesn't offer.

We're going back to the recipe for our next batch as we've narrowed our numbers and are finally on the head (next step is increasing batch sizes and refining), but if you plan on altering some hops, be sure you stick with those that offer the same palate.

Back