Learning android, writing recipe formulator app

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Downloaded/installed on Droid2 global. Will tinker and give comments. Any interedt in having us compare calculation results to other programs?

Just installed it on my Xoom tablet with an unofficial build of CM9 on it. (Ice Cream Sandwich.)

Loaded fine, seemed to work fine.

I had some weird questions about the readings, but just found that you can swipe from side to side on the recipe screen. I remembered reading about swiping in the thread, but had forgotten about it when I started getting into the nitty-gritty of the recipe. You REALLY need to put some arrows in the GUI to let people know they can (and must) swipe over to set the brew options, and to see the style guidelines.

My feedback
Pros:
- Great list of ingredients. Good way for me to tweak aspect of the recipe and see where they change things.
- Love the style guideline ranges on the sliders at the bottom. Great way to give me feedback on where I'm breaking the rules and by how much.
- LOVE the style guidelines on the right-swipe screen. Great for talking with others about beer recipes so they can see what I'm shooting for if they're not familiar with the BJCP styles.

Cons:
- I know you know this, but some really basic GUI design will go a long way. Don't want to get too cutesy with this app, but the < and > arrows like I suggested above will help a LOT. I'd forgotten about swiping until I got weird readings on my recipe.

Features that would be nice/cool:
- A hop timer would be neat, though lots of people have these built into their apps.
- Ability to share with Wordpress, Facebook, etc.
- Ability to put Recipe Notes would be useful. Strike temp, mash temp, etc.

In all, great job. I plan to use this as my primary brewing recipe app. I don't brew a ton, but am hoping to change that. Thank you for the work!

Glad to hear that the app is moving in the right direction, I agree that the gui needs a lot of attention, boil timers are part of the plan, and I will definitely get a swype menu in there at some point.

This past week has been busy, I hope to get back to more rapid development soon.

One thing that would be great and missing from apps would be some sort of way to adjust a variable (say boil size) while holding IBUs constant and have the app automatically figure out what to adjust the hops by.

I've got a couple recipes I want to try but they are for full boil or don't include late malt addition and it'd be really sweet to plug them into the app, hit some "hold OG, FG, IBUs constant" button and change boil size and have it adjust the ingredients for me.

Just a thought, not sure how feasible this is.

What this app really needs are a recipe notes section, and the ability to add additional unfermentable ingredients. As it stands, I can't add a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone because there's no place to make note of the coffee that is used. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the ingredient list, but in that case, I'd need a notes section (maybe over in the left swipe menu) to note the oddities I can't put in the main ingredients section.

Taliesin said:
What this app really needs are a recipe notes section, and the ability to add additional unfermentable ingredients. As it stands, I can't add a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone because there's no place to make note of the coffee that is used. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the ingredient list, but in that case, I'd need a notes section (maybe over in the left swipe menu) to note the oddities I can't put in the main ingredients section.

Is there a recipe abv calculation anywhere?

I have been using your app on/off since the last update. One GI glitch was found when adding flaked wheat. On a few occasions I was in the middle of creating a recipe and hit the back arrow on my phone and the screen went back to the create new recipe screen and my previously entered data was lost. I now save along the way. I have also had a force close when rotating the screen in the middle of a recipe input. I'm not 100% sure it was from the rotation as I was also entering information. I'll keep giving you feedback If you don't mind.

I was able too re-create the glitch you described, I will work on that in a little bit. I have editing done for one of the categories, once I put it in for the other three I will put up a new build.

I got busy with other things for a little bit, but I hope to resume my old pace this week.

Something I thought of recently that would be neat is some sort of calendar integration. If an input is how long we plan to keep it in primary/secondary it'd be great to have it thrown onto our calendars with alerts. Would help planning the availability of certain buckets/carboys etc.

Is this thread and app dead as of now. Looking for a good android homebrew app right now.

I had a few things come up and have not worked on this project in a while. I am thinking about starting it up again, especially if there is interest in the app.

Back