Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I travel for work and I have a lady who watches my kids, and my brewery, while Im gone. She does an awesome job and I make this recipe for her as one of the ways I say "Thank you" for all she does. We jus kegged this for the first time and she is all too pleased to have 5 gallons on tap lol!!

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Ho lee chit! this is good stuff!

Just tried some last night and i was blown away how good it tasted. I made the caramel sauce with apple juice, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon extract. Also i used the 3 cans of apple juice concentrate as per the updated recipe.

My OG was only 1.059 even with the added sugar and my FG was 1.014. So roughly 6% ABV. Cant even taste the alcohol. this stuff can get dangerous. i have a feeling my family is going to get unintentionally drunk on this stuff on the 4th.

OK. I started a batch of this about 2 weeks ago. I checked the gravity today. The OG was about 1.065 and the current gravity reading is 1.00. According to the handy-dandy on-line ABV calculator, I'm at about 8.5/8.6 ABV. :)

OK. I started a batch of this about 2 weeks ago. I checked the gravity today. The OG was about 1.065 and the current gravity reading is 1.00. According to the handy-dandy on-line ABV calculator, I'm at about 8.5/8.6 ABV. :)

What yeast did you use? Did you add any yeast nutrient or energizer?

i did the cider with notty @ 60* F. came out very clean.

I did a blonde ale with notty both at 63-64ish and this time 60. came out cleaner at 60. very pleased this this yeast.

And it hasnt really been mentioned here, but I brewed approximately 4 batches of beer in the very beginning around 68-70 and I ended up with so many off flavors they were nearly undrinkable. I havnt done this with a hard cider, and Im not gonna test it. Notty is very unforgiving at higher ferm temps!

And it hasnt really been mentioned here, but I brewed approximately 4 batches of beer in the very beginning around 68-70 and I ended up with so many off flavors they were nearly undrinkable. I havnt done this with a hard cider, and Im not gonna test it. Notty is very unforgiving at higher ferm temps!

This was an interesting statement for me to read. I have fermented with this up to 75* on this cider recipe (my basement is really hot in the summer for some reason) and it worked out just fine. I am pretty sure I've used in an ale at this temp as well...don't remember anything off hand being an issue. Further palate development perhaps.

This was an interesting statement for me to read. I have fermented with this up to 75* on this cider recipe (my basement is really hot in the summer for some reason) and it worked out just fine. I am pretty sure I've used in an ale at this temp as well...don't remember anything off hand being an issue. Further palate development perhaps.

I've got to second this. Maybe I can't taste any off flavors that are there or maybe I've just been lucky but I have yet to have a bad experience with Notty, and my temperature control is slim to none at this point.

Certainly not best practices though :drunk:

Id guess you underpitched to get those off flavors at 68-70* F, unless those are ambient air temps. I personally wouldn't go anywhere over 68 though unless its like a saison. i can taste off flavors from beers fermented in the low 70s (beer temp).

Ive got a good discussion elsewhere here on HBTalk called "My beer tastes twangy". It looks like it may be coming down to my water profile and how it doesnt work with certain styles. But when I was trying to troubleshoot it, temp control during primary seemed to resolve the issue.

Just brewed a 5 gallon batch of this and used squeezed apple cider from my grandmas orchard. I decided to half the batch with the still cider and one half sparkling cider. Its pretty murky, looks like muddy water but I expected that. I am currently stovetop pasturizing the whole batch and Ill tell you its one scary mf. I had a cork pop off one of my bottles so far and now I've been undoing caps because a sparkling cider is not worth 180F cider everywhere in my kitchen, even if I lose my carbonation.

On tasting notes, I like it tastes like apple pie. I'm hoping it clears a little with time and I've also noticed my brown sugar from my caramel syrup didn't dissolve very well, or it could be the cinnamon. Also a hint of sulfur smell but not enough to worry me

On tasting notes, I like it tastes like apple pie. I'm hoping it clears a little with time and I've also noticed my brown sugar from my caramel syrup didn't dissolve very well, or it could be the cinnamon. Also a hint of sulfur smell but not enough to worry me

Are you using cinnamon powder or what? Cinnamon extract is really the way to go. 'Course I tend to overload it with cinnamon extract. I think the recipe with extract it supposed to be like a 1/2 teaspoon, and I give it two or three teaspoons, but I like the cinnamon bite. :)

Are you corking or capping? Corks might blow because they're not as good at holding pressure (as I understand it), where caps would to well.

Aren't corks used for higher pressure situations like Belgian ales? They are champagne style corks and cages though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My understanding is the cages would make all the difference and would tolerate pressure buildup better than regular corks.
Could be wrong though. It's happened once before :tank:

Corks for cages are different arent they? Im trying to bottle an Eisbock in Champagne bottles and cant find cork corks with a corker but I do have the plastic plugs with cages.

I'm definitely going to brew this cider next. I'm wondering what people think about stilling or caring the cider? I have never made or have had a hard cider before. It just sounds way to good to pass it up. Thanks

I can appreciate a still cider, but I definitely prefer it carbed up some... Seems to make it more drinkable (which I look for in a cider). Still makes it more wine-like to me, better for sipping (which I like as well, but just not as well for most ciders)...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I keg and lightly carb mine... no more than about 10-12 PSI. It is less carbed than most sodas. :)

I carbed mine at 10-12 PSI too. It turned out great. Just enough so that you know it's been carbed, but not so much that you get a mouth full of apple fizz. 😄

I carbed mine at 10-12 PSI too. It turned out great. Just enough so that you know it's been carbed, but not so much that you get a mouth full of apple fizz. 😄

Exactly! :D kinda "sparkling" cider... but not champagne-level of carbonation. :)

I targeted 1.5 volumes of carbonation on my cider and loved it. I bottle conditioned though so I don't know psi. The bjcp has a classification for this level of carbonation on their style guidelines for mead/cider/perry.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm definitely bottle conditioning the cider, I'm just trying to make sure I'm clear on the pasteurizing of the cider so it doesn't over carb. Everyone I talk to has never heard of it. What do I have to lose.

I'm definitely bottle conditioning the cider, I'm just trying to make sure I'm clear on the pasteurizing of the cider so it doesn't over carb. Everyone I talk to has never heard of it. What do I have to lose.

I make this using the original recipe and Nottingham yeast. I bottle condition. When I get to the appropriate level of carb (I sample at 2 1/2 days after bottling and every 12 hours thereafter, I want my last sample to be a little bit under carbed, usually its between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 days) I put it in the fridge (about 36 degrees). That puts the Nottingham to sleep. If enjoyed within 2 months you prob wont have any gushers. If you have a dishwasher, put the bottles through a wash and heat dry cycle and then u can store the cider at any temp. Enjoy!

Hey guys made a batch of this Wednesday night. And within 15 hours it was bubbling away. When I came home today however, there was a couple of fruit flies around it. I noticed the airlock was low. I filled it back up. I'm probably ok right?

Probably. They like the alcohol. If not, that could make one hell of a base for a sour. Did it cool off? Just curious why the airlock would be so low...

Back