The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arsenal have just bought a 17 year old kid from my team for $25M!!! :D

This kid has not even played a game outside of the third tier.

Splashing out for 17 yo. winger from Southampton.... where have we seen that before?

Typical Wenger master stroke. Splurging on the future when the present is turning into a bright shiny turd...

Had a great night last night, meet and greet with the Timbers.

My son Cameron and Jewsbury
Cam_Jack.jpg

My wife with Chabala
Beck_Chabala.jpg

will post more later, they are on her phone.

I see Gleeson photo bombed the pics, Dike is back there too and I believe Horst.

Sweeeet! Does your boy play?

Both do, Cameron is a great defender and the other younger is typically a forward but is starting to enjoy keeper.

We sent Cameron to Brazil a couple years ago with People to People to play soccer, it was a great trip for him.

MLS has inked a 3 year deal with NBC - 45 games, tho I'm guessing most will be on NBC Sports (what VERSUS will be re-branded as on Jan 2) and streaming, not on the mothership.

Nice first game for the boys under Klinsmann. Neither team had it's full complement of players, but Mexico did start 8 of the 11 that started te Gold Cup Final. Obviously Chicharito was the biggest exclusion, and Dos Santos not starting didn't help Mexico(even though he look very containable when he did get in the game).

I really liked what I saw from some of the young players. Brek Shea(who I have been waiting to get a shot) played great and showed tons of hard work and confidence. Robbie Rogers(who I haven't been the biggest fan of) did very well in his short time on the field. He was in the right place for the tap in goal and could have had a second off the breakaway if not for being pulled down(seriously, no red card for Torrado??).

Edgar Castillo and Jose Torres had so so games. Both did positive things but also made some mistakes.

I was really impressed with Michael Orozco Fiscal. He looked very steady in the center of defense. His play alone was enough to make me feel like we have more hope than we thought from our young crop of defenders.

I watched the Mex vs USA game last night as well and was amazed at the dirty playing that was going on. Mexico played a very dirty game and most of their team should have been tossed off the field for what they did. The ref was an idiot who missed most of the calls. My son's a ref and he was going nuts at the calls this guy was making. US needs to change their style of play, specifically the slow start and then having to make a comeback. They need to come out strong from the beginning. Hopefully the new coach will help with that. I like how animated Jurgen was getting during the game.

beerloaf

Thoughts:

- Landy Cakes need to stay in the middle... he's much less useful on the wing. Good thing Klinsi saw that

- Happy Klinsi put a lot of faith in the youngsters. They looked great, especially Shea. Looks like the Yanks aren't going to be a 1.Bundesliga All-Star team any more :D

I've discovered a new guilty pleasure... I just found out how awesome it is to watch MLSs The Daily in Spanish. It's weird seeing Simon Borg speak Spanish, and with a perfect accent at that.

I'm really looking forward to the action this weekend. Tons of domestic matches to enjoy, most of which are on Match Day Live. Maybe we'll get to see Freddy Adu in a MLS kit once again today.

It's a good day to be an American soccer fan.

tame?

i'll point you in the direction of qpr 0 bolton wanderers 4

go bolton!:tank:

Show me a man who didn't expect QPR to get spanked, and I'll show you a QPR fan.

Everyone else was expecting it. Personally, I was hoping for a little more Zamora action. :p For everyone else, the main controversy was Joey Barton winning a red for Arsenal by faking taking a punch. My team's Everton, who didn't get to play because north London is still in flames.

dwarven_stout said:
Show me a man who didn't expect QPR to get spanked, and I'll show you a QPR fan.

Congratulations, you just won 1000 internets :D

For everyone else, the main controversy was Joey Barton winning a red for Arsenal by faking taking a punch.

Someone needs to do the footballing world a favor and curb stomp Joey Barton so he's unable to kick a ball ever again. He has got to the be most odious petulant pr*ck of a footballer in a long time. Sure he has some talent, but he more than makes up for it with his thuggery...

An honorable mention goes to the ref for letting everyone know that it's acceptable to haul a man up off the ground by his shirt and get in his face, but it's not acceptable to take a swing at someone..

So far I've seen both 0-0 games in their entirety and Chelsea/Stoke is 0-0 at halftime.

The Arsenal/Newcastle game was dreadful. Usually when Arsenal fails to win in hilarious fashion, that at least get some shots on goal.

So far I've seen both 0-0 games in their entirety and Chelsea/Stoke is 0-0 at halftime.

The Arsenal/Newcastle game was dreadful. Usually when Arsenal fails to win in hilarious fashion, that at least get some shots on goal.

Unless they're playing Barcelona.

Yeah, I'd say this weekend MLS > EPL

Reasoning:
1) TFC finally won, and it was again RSL of all clubs
2) Columbus had a good victory, keeping their unlikely grip on #1 in the East
3) DC absolutely destroyed Vancouver
4) Aside from two 0-0 matches, the other ties were high scorers with some great plays
5) LA is still on top even after having a bye :D :D

Yep!! Saints, Joint top in the NPower Championship league after a whopping two whole games! LOL

They ARE playing very well at the moment though, so I have all my fingers crossed. :)

Ahhh, Saints then. I see they celebrated a glorious 1-0 victory over those bastards at Barnsley yesterday.

Apparently, it could have been a few more than 1-0. We even managed to put in a spell of 35 continuous passes against them!... I'll take a win though, whatever the scoreline. :)

Edit: Oooh! I can watch the entire game online now!! I'll be gone for 90 minutes then!! :D

I do occasionally watch EPL games featuring American players, and the quality is very high, but I really couldn't care less. MLS is all I really care about watching, because the Crew are the only team I have a real attachment to.

I do occasionally watch EPL games featuring American players, and the quality is very high, but I really couldn't care less. MLS is all I really care about watching, because the Crew are the only team I have a real attachment to.

Nice, I kind of feel the same way about MLS.

But how about Columbus this weekend? They're looking pretty dang good. Too bad they'd still be in 5th place in the West, just one point ahead of a game-in-hand RSL. :D

I kid, I kid. It doesn't really matter seeing as they're pretty much set for a playoff berth. Then it just comes down to who is better on any given day.

I'm the same. I'm only really interested in watching games related at least in some way to my own team. If I watched everything soccer related, I'd have no time for anything else!

Tomorrow (Tuesday), the Saints take the pitch against the oddly nicknamed Tractorboys of Ipswich Town.

That's not a real nickname. It's generic for kids of farmers.

It's a biggy though. They are one of the stronger sides, and it's away. The Saints fans are on a high right now, 9 straight competitive wins. It will be a hard thing to take when the run ends.....Which could well be tomorrow. :(

Holy hell. Man City - Swansea just finished, and I think Aguero might be the only $40M striker in the EPL worth his price. You want to see scary good goals, Reno?

WOOO!!!! LA Galaxy get rid of Juan Pablo Angel (who was producing dick) and pick up Robbie Keane! YES, some Irish love!

If he's not available for their Champions League match tomorrow against Motagua, I'm sure they'll suit him up on the 20th.

WOOO!!!! LA Galaxy get rid of Juan Pablo Angel (who was producing dick) and pick up Robbie Keane! YES, some Irish love!

If he's not available for their Champions League match tomorrow against Motagua, I'm sure they'll suit him up on the 20th.

More likely he and Beckham go make out or something and you're left depending on Landy to wake up out of his Gold-Cup induced depression. ;)

Seriously though- I know they were playing a newly-promoted side and all, but go check out the highlight footage from Man City today. Swansea's keeper Vorm was stellar, but not good enough to contend with Aguero.

Holy hell. Man City - Swansea just finished, and I think Aguero might be the only $40M striker in the EPL worth his price. You want to see scary good goals, Reno?

He certainly appeared to be struggling for match fitness... ;)

If he can stay healthy and keep it up Citeh should be the clear favorites. We'll see where he is come November and December when the cold and the rain set in.

I forgot my login info for the fantasy league. I click the appropriate thingy for them to email my password, but the damned email never arrives!! I officially give up on it. :(

Back