Imperial Stout and using coco

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
Well, I managed to loan my copy of Clone BRews out and since I planned to do an imperial stout I guess I'm going to have to wing it:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: No Hope Imperial Stouts
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.103 SG
Estimated Color: 40.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 74.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.62 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.81 %
1.39 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.92 %
1.12 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 5.56 %
0.67 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3.32 %
0.28 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.38 %
1.85 oz Target [12.53 %] (90 min) Hops 59.4 IBU
1.39 oz Bramling Cross [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 20.07 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 25.08 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

The stout will be made on the yeast cake from a previous porter I made. The only thing I was thinking was to add some Bournvile coco. I've seen 7oz being bandied around as a number to go for, but I'm not really sure. Any other recommendations? I was going to age this and have a bottle a year at Christmas as a special kind of thing.

You're planning to add Coco?

conan-obrien.jpg

There was a pretty good article on brewing with chocolate/cocoa in a BYO magazine about a year back. I can't remember much about recommended additions (by weight, that is), but they did state that using low fat content cocoa was easier if you're just getting started with it. The lack of fat makes for easier brewing, fermenting, and can avoid the potential for head-killing fat in the finished product. Take a look for the article.

http://***********/component/resource/article/Indices/38-Ingredients/458-chocobrau-techniques

Is this the article? I've linked it if for no other reason that if someone else wants to find it I'll have saved them going to byo and typing the word 'cocoa' :)

Speaking of low fat, I made a wine using a traditional English Christmas pudding (think cake, but boiled). Crushed it up and fermented it. Very nice if you oxidise it slightly so it is like a Sherry. Anyway, the Christmas pudding has LOADS of fat in it. You have to scrape it off as it forms a layer about 1/2 thick in the fermenting bucket. :)

^^^ No, the one I read was from last winter. When I get home, I'll search a bit to see if I kept that issue.

Back