Will I get bubbles in the secondary with Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Yah, will my raspberries cause a new cycle of fermentation from the sugars? I am not home to see it, wondering if it will?!

Brewpilot

It will, but not for long. Most berries only have an ounce or two of fermentable sugar per pound of crushed fruit.

I just did some cherries and it filled the airlock. Might want to keep an eye on it for the first day.

My wifey just checked it and said there is about 1/2" of red foam on top and the airlock is bubbling away... she is taking pics for me

Brewpilot said:
My wifey just checked it and said there is about 1/2" of red foam on top and the airlock is bubbling away... she is taking pics for me

Is this your 1st fruit beer? My Cherry Wit is my first attempt with fruit and I'm pretty excited to taste it even though the idea was to make something SWMBO would enjoy.

I found putting the cherries in the secondary was a real pain. Next time, I plan to use a corney as a secondary. I'm thinking that will make life easier.

This is my first fruit, and it was made for my wife as well... the raspberries were pasteurized at 150F for about 15 minutes which reduced them to juice and mush, so they went through a funnel into the secondary.

Brewpilot said:
This is my first fruit, and it was made for my wife as well... the raspberries were pasteurized at 150F for about 15 minutes which reduced them to juice and mush, so they went through a funnel into the secondary.

Ya, I did that too, but the cherries were still too much for the funnel. I guess raspberries might be easier because they're smaller to begin with.

With my cranberry dubbel, nothing much happened, but then, cranberries don't have much sugar. I added a mixture of currant preserves and juice to the secondary of my ephemere clone, and it did get a little krausen and bubbled happily for a day or two, but nothing to really be concerned about...unless, of course, you have no headroom in your vessel.

My mango-peach wit was by far the worst situation, and it was all my fault...me and my stupid impatience. I bottled too soon, and there were apparently still some fruit sugars unfermented. Now, every bottle I open is a gusher. Live and learn...but I would say that, when adding fruit, make absolutely sure that that extra sugar has been fermented out completely before bottling.

RDWJ: with my cranberries, I added them to boiling water, pureed them somewhat with an immersion blender, boiled that mixture for 10 mins, and it was a prefect puree consistency with many berries still somewhat intact.

rdwj said:
That sounds pretty tasty! How did it turn out?? Got a recipe??

Sure, here you go. I f'd mine up a little bit because I bottled it too soon...even though it was a few weeks in secondary, I guess there were still fruit sugars hiding in there, because all my bottles have been gushers. No bombs yet, though. Also, due to the fresh fruit, I'd say that this is a drink-now kind of beer. As soon as it is conditioned, drink it. I made mine at the end of july, and the bottles I have had recently are starting to taste a bit...ripe. But it is phenomenal nonetheless. I threw caution to the wind and didn't bother to sanitize the fruit at all...no infected bottles so far.

Oh, and this was from before I had ProMash. Was just getting started brewing. Took lackluster notes. I don't think the OG was actually that low...I think I just forgot to write down some of the malt. Either that, or I was anticipating the fruit sugars, because it is very balanced as far as the ABV/body.

Mango-Peach Wit

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-A Belgian & French Ale, Witbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 10 Max IBU: 20
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 4 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.00
Anticipated OG: 1.038 Plato: 9.41
Anticipated SRM: 3.3
Anticipated IBU: 26.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.032 SG 8.04 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
33.3 2.00 lbs. Muntons LME - Extra Light England 1.037 3
16.7 1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Belgium 1.038 2
33.3 2.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Belgium 1.037 3
16.7 1.00 lbs. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 6.00 22.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Saazer Pellet 3.30 4.3 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)
0.00 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.00 Tbsp Coriander Seed Spice 5 Min.(boil)
5.00 Lbs Peaches (sliced, for boiling) Fruit 2 Min.(boil)
10.00 Lbs Peaches (sliced, for fermenter) Fruit 14 Days
4.00 Lbs Mangoes (sliced, for fermenter) Fruit 14 Days

Yeast
-----

Cultured Wit yeast from a Legend bottle.

Notes
-----

Strained peaches, coriander, orange peel from primary after +/- 4 days. Added second peaches and mangoes to secondary fermenter, strained out at bottling.

Latest posts

Back