Beginners IPA recipe for friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
So it's my buddies 25th birthday in March. He wants to throw a huge party at his house and asked if I'd be willing to brew a keg of beer. He also said to brew something everyone would like and proceeded to mention Alexander Keiths. I said,"Ewww....I will but only if I can make it the way it was before Inbev got to it". Now I've done my reasearch and apparently even before Keiths was bought by Inbev the Beer was never an IPA.

I forgot where I got the quote but the reason it's still advertised as an IPA is because Alexander Keiths wasn't ever trying to replicate the historic IPA guidelines. In fact those guidelines never exsisted back then, it was a style only recently ressurected by micro's.

In either case I'm hoping to come to a mutual level ground here. I'm looking to have this beer between Alexander Keiths IPA and a correct IPA recipe. It will be hard though because my friend hates citrus flavour in his beer. The last IPA I made he described as grapefruit juice. So subtle but stronger then water is what I'm going for.

Let me know what you think:

7lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Rice Extract Syrup
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

60min: Cascade .25oz
40min: Hallertauer Mittlefruh .25oz
30min: Cascade .25oz
5min: Hallertauer Mittlefruh .5oz

5.5g gallons
OG: 1.058
IBU: 14.4
SRM: 8
ABV: 5.9%

What kind of yeast should I use?

Nottingham or US-05 would probably be fine. But I'm not sold on the idea of "crossing" something like Alexander Keith's and an IPA. Seems like crossing oil and water. Marris Otter w/ Rice Syrup? hmm.... Maybe it would be good. I'd suggest brewing it a few times to get the recipe down before bringing it to a party.

As far as your party goes how about something like Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale. We know it is a solid recipe and your friend will probably like it.

i'm not entirely sold on the idea either....but that's what I love about brewing. Maybe I'll do something that tastes awesome and pleases everyone...BMC and homebrewers alike.

although I think I may kick up the IBU's to 25ish.

humm and change the Hallertauer to Williamete

Yeah you can do. I'd also drop the rice syrup and replace that with more of the base malt. BMC drinkers might not be down with Marris Otter and the Carapils. Too much body and biscuit like characteristics....

Back