Which efficiency do you report in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I knew Beersmith pretty well but it turns out that now I am questioning my efficiency.. So my question to you guys is: When you talk about your efficiencies in these forums (as calculated by Beersmith) are you referring the the brewhouse efficiency or your efficiency into the fermenter? (Both of which are reported by Beersmith) Or put another way, are most guys reporting efficiencies in terms of mash efficiency?

I only ask because I just really noticed my "efficiency into the fermenter" section today.. And going back through the old recipes I have done in the past, it's always higher than my brewhouse efficiency..

i always use/report my brewhouse efficiency... if my efficiency into fermenter is higher/lower then i screwed up and ended up with too little or too much wort after the boil

When it is just "efficiency" asked for, I give brewhouse. Into the fermenter will always be a bit lower unless you just dump everything (hops and all) into your fermenter. I measure efficiency throughout my brewday, but the number that is useful around here is the BH eff.

Back