question about hop roots and concrete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsstory182

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a southern facing side of my house that I want to plant some rhizomes so they can grow uo the house. The bed is about 30 ft long but it only 3 feet wide. I was thinking about cutting the bottom off of 5 gallon buckets and planting those in the ground with the rhizome in the middle. I'm hoping the root system grows deep enough and won't crack the concrete. Can hop roots even crack concrete? Hopefully I am just worrying over nothing.

My IIPA will crack concrete when it's done:mug: Does that help?

No? Well, I don't see any way that the roots will try to get into your basement. They're more fiborous than woody and they're looking for nutrients, not stones. I don't think that you'll even need to guide them down with the cut off buckets. If by some freak chance they did invade your underground that would make a hell of a story and label for an IPA:rockin:

Just dont put them next to a cast iron **** pipe that runs from your house to the street. Those roots are nasty when they find cast iron joints full of nutrient filled water. (At least grass and pine trees from many many yards away do!)
-Me

I wonder if my sprinkler system is safe? I planted two the other day right next to my underground pipes.

Back