kegerator drill bit and tubing length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
Just got in a complete kegerator. Any comments on what type/size drill bit to go through fridge door?? Any tips -- go from out to in or vice versa on drilling?? Nervous to mess up new fridge for this. Also, saw some comments on board about appropriate foot length of out hose to prevent foam etc -- why would almost every dealer sell kits with 5 or 6 feet hose if this is a problem?? Please help understand and ease my worries about how difficult this kegging thing I am in is> thanks, doc

I believe its a 7/8" bit for the door. I have a step bit that I used for holes, but a metal hole saw is cheaper. I personally got a tap that had 5' 3/16" tubing and I only get a small amount of foam on the first pour, but that's because of lack of cooling in the tower.

Kegging is all in all quite simple, you just need to read up on it a lot and understand the process.

the 7/8 sounds more correct to me than the companys recs of 1 inch -- the shank is not 1 inch in diameter - wouldnt that just mean air coming out the fridge etc??

Best thing to do is just measure the diameter of the shank. Drill a little smaller and then use a dremel to open it up.

To make a clean hole
1. drill your pilot hole from the outside
2. go half-way through w/ hole saw or other kind of bit (I can't recommend because I used a wooden collar)
3. drill from the inside to complete the opening, using the pilot hole as a guide

Back