Which pump? Little Giant or March?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dWiGhT-TX

Reaction score
Looking at getting a couple of pumps for my Brutus10 clone system and was trying to decide which to get.

One thing I would like is a stainless steel head on it... I know that MoreBeer has one of the March pumps with it but don't seem to be able to find any of the Little Giants around...

Anyone have links to places with good prices on the pumps? and which one is preferred?

I'd like to know as well. What are the pump options for a single tier setup with two pumps from 10gal up to 30gal? :drunk:

That pump is not the HS model I think people on here like the HS (Highspeed) model better. Looks like they both are low on the GPM area.

The 809-hs model has 7 GPM pumping speed

I have one of each on my sculpture, the Little Giant is only good to 200º if I remember right, I have it on the HLT side. It is quieter and primes faster.
I have the March on the boil side little louder but also works great, slightly harder to prime.

On the Brutus I am building I went with 2 March, for ease of mounting, looks and dont know where to get the Little Giant's anymore.

Do we know if March's supplier uses lead in the bronze? I am not a metallurgist. Wikipedia shows bronze containing copper and tin, along with occasional use of phosphorus, manganese, aluminum, or tin. Another site mentions the use of lead as well. Brass (copper and zinc) can also contain lead, and I understood that a surface rinse with cleaners or something like vinegar would leach from the surface the accessible lead. I understood the lead risk to be negligible with this precaution, if there indeed is lead in the bronze. Are there any metallurgists, chemists, environmental safety folks, or such lurking out there to set me straight on this?

I hope I understand this correctly, since I just bought two bronze head pumps. I could still send them back. It just seems like there is too much plastic in my life already.

So did you ever get an answer to that question about lead in the March pump? I'm thinking about getting one.

Cheers.

Back