Inspired by a vodka thread, let's talk RUM!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did a search, and unfortunately rum is too short of a search term, so I apologize if this topic has been done before. Heck I might have started one before and forgot about it. I love rum, it is by far my favorite liquor, and I try to sample as many different ones as I readily can. Anyhow from what I have seen, $12-$15 seems to be the starting point of good rum. In general if you're spending less than this, you probably are getting a harsh flavorless waste of molasses. Anyhow, some of my notes on different rums:

Pusser's Navy Rum - A bit more alcohol burn than some others at the price, but makes up for it with a great sugar cane aftertaste. Also comes in a kickass looking decanter if you want to waste an extra $40 on it.

Sailor Jerry - A slightly overproof rum, it's a bit harsher than most I'd normally drink, but it has a hint of cherry to it that makes it interesting.

Gosling's Black Strap - This one has so much going for it for the cost. Very mellow, rich, and full of flavor. Get some of this in a ginger beer for a wonderful dark & stormy.

Myer's - Overpriced dreck. Not horrible, but for the same price or less there are so many better rums. If you want a truly dark rum get Goslings, or a more neutral dark rum, Appleton Estate or Flor de Cana

Flor de Cana 5yr - One of my go-to rums. Smooth, good flavor, and is all around a great value rum. I've tried their longer aged, and they are similar, though slightly smoother and more refined. The 5 yr however gets more time due to cost.

Appleton Estate - A great neutral rum. Smooth with a good but not overpowering flavor.

Bacardi - BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHA omg hehe, yeeeah, let's move on from this shall we? I asked for a top shelf rum in a bar once and they said they had bacardi. I ordered a beer. Sugar cane deserves better than ending up as this swill.

10 Cane - This is really more a Cahaca than a rum. A bit pricey but there aren't a lot of higher end light rums.

Sea Wynd - Eh, it was good, but not for the price. Not as smooth and flavor didn't make up for it enough. If you see this on the shelf, then you're going to have other better options too.

Mt Gay Extra Old - Pricier rum as you might expect with the "extra old." Smooth with good flavor. Not a disappointment at the price, though there are others out there I like better.

Pampero Anniversario - Ahhh the leather pouch of joyous imbibing. This stuff is divine. This is my favorite rum to date. Smooth with a wonderful flavor. If I'm in the mood to buy a pricier rum, I'll tend to get this one.

Dogfish Head Brown Honey rum - A specialty sweet rum that's smooth and easy to drink. An occasional guilty pleasure when I go to the Dogfish near me.

The Captains - Spiced Rums just don't quite fit in with normal rums. I don't get a spiced rum instead of a normal rum. I don't have it often so I don't have a wide listing.

Captain Morgan - Your everyday sweetened spiced rum. If you want a spiced rum, it's pretty basic

Captain Morgan tattoo - Reminds me of goslings, but then they decided to keep cramming more flavor into it. They ended up with a gimmick liquor that tastes too weird to drink.

Captain Morgan Private Stock - Okay, this stuff is tasty. It's sweet and smooth and a bit too easy to drink. If I'm in the mood for spiced rum, I tend to get this.

Anyhow, I know I've tried more than that, but that's all I can remember right now. Comment, question, or whatever!

i am a fan a sailor jerry...despite its higher alcohol content, i found it to be smoother than other rums i have had and i also enjoyed the flavor

I too am a huge fan of Sailor Jerry's. Really good rich flavor, bigger bang for the buck in the ABV department and it is really, really good with creamy mixed drinks. I love putting a couple shots of Jerry's into some eggnog. I make eggnog each holiday season and glug accordingly.

I haven't really gotten the chance to get into rum. 10 Cane was the first "good" rum I ever bought. I drink a LOT of Scotch though. Maybe I'll try to branch out with some of your suggestions!

I've always been fond of Cavalier, after spending 16 months stationed in Antigua.

I'm in a bar ordering rum on ice. The bartender is trying to bump me to the expensive imports. I say, "I really like Cavalier Gold." He argues. Then a voice from the clouds says, "Give my friend a double, on me. He's got good taste." I turn around and look UP. There's this black guy, about 6'8". He owned the distillery. Got a tour and a huge hang-over out of it. Shipped a case home when I left the Navy. In 1979, it was $1.20 an Imperial quart and the duty was only 50 cents a bottle.

FYI, Sailor Jerry is also a spiced rum.

I tried The Kraken (a black spiced rum) a while back. Seems to be more about the marketing than the product. Cool bottle/label though.

I've heard good things about the Bacardi 8 if you can find it at a good price, but I haven't tried it myself.

I too am a huge fan of rum. Definitely my favorite liquor at the moment...although gin is giving it a run for its money. I have next to no experience with various types I've tried though, I'll need to give some of the ones you listed a try, haven't had all of em yet!

I've always been fond of Cavalier, after spending 16 months stationed in Antigua.

I'm in a bar ordering rum on ice. The bartender is trying to bump me to the expensive imports. I say, "I really like Cavalier Gold." He argues. Then a voice from the clouds says, "Give my friend a double, on me. He's got good taste." I turn around and look UP. There's this black guy, about 6'8". He owned the distillery. Got a tour and a huge hang-over out of it. Shipped a case home when I left the Navy. In 1979, it was $1.20 an Imperial quart and the duty was only 50 cents a bottle.

Such a cool story :rockin:

So far private stock is my favorite rum over all, but I haven't had a number of your "picks" before, so I guess I better get to tasting.

though not as much an aficionado of Rum as I am of Tequila, I shopped around for something to add to the Thunderstruck Pumpkin ale I was planning on brewing after having the Avery Rumpkin in late September. The Kraken is really bold, full flavored, chocolate caramel vanilla christmas spice; and after finishing a bottle straight up and with coke (and even adding it to commercial pumpkin ales) I bought one for the brew. I just racked the pumpkin ale on top of 12 ounces of Kraken and can't wait for the results!

Rum is my drink of choice. Right after beer. Sometimes before it though. I haven't tried with it yet, but there is always a first.

My personal favorites:

Mount Gay XO: this is a good sipping rum, nice and dry.

Gosling's Black Seal: Excellent everyday rum, filled with rummy flavors. It's good enough to drink on its own, but is also an interesting mixer. I've heard that the Family Label Old Rum is bar none, but I haven't been able to find some yet.

Meyer's Legend: Much like Meyer's but better. way better.

Orinoco: This silver rum is really more of a cachaca but it is one of the few silver rums that can stand on its own and doesn't taste like just another mixer. Notes of vanilla.

The Kraken: I'm not much of a spiced rum fan, most of them taste like artificial flavorings (im looking at you Sailor Jerry), but this one has changed my mind. Its nice and sweet without being cloying like Private Stock and has just the right level of spiciness to mix with the buttery rummy flavors.

I've drank many others, but these are my all time favorites.

I kinda like Parrot Bay's coconut rum, the 100 proof one. It's more coconutty. Two shots knocked me for a loop the day I hadn't eaten much of the couple of weeks I hadn't drank much.

So far private stock is my favorite rum over all, but I haven't had a number of your "picks" before, so I guess I better get to tasting.

I'll second the private stock. There are definitely a lot more rums I'd like to try, though. If anyone ever has the chance, I highly recommend trying Jamaican rum cream. It's absolutely delicious!

Private Stock is my favorite so far. For those that drink Bacardi, lol!! I was stationed in San Juan in the late 70's, found out that the locals drank Ronrico, Bacardi is for tourists. And Parrot Bay is for girls

I'm a big fan of the Kraken. If you didn't read the bottle you wouldn't be able to tell it's 47% just by the taste. It's pretty smooth.

not much of a rum drinker, but enjoyed the rum they had in the minibar in our hotel room in Jamaica, so I brought back a small bottle of Appleton Estate V/X

wish I had brought back a bigger bottle

IMG_8560 fixd.jpg

Oh I like Rum. Rum is usually what I grab, even before beer. Here is my list

Mixing:

Bacardi Superior (not a particularly good rum, but cheap and goes well with Coke. I grew up with the flavor...and well im Cuban so I liek to support a Cuban family owned business).

Straight (the good stuff):

Bacardi 8 The cheapest of the sipping rums, and imo one of the best, its my go to. I know people get scared of reading bacardi, but this is a GREAT rum. Its a crime to mix it...and at the price, its unbeatable.

Ron Zacapa This one, imo, is the best rum there is. Its expensive, but so worth it. Again, mixing is a crime, its my "on special occasions" rum.

Ron Pyrat Its great, less pricey than zacapa, but id still rather go for Bacardi 8, or Zacapa.

Ron del Barrilito Hard to find anywhere outside of Puerto Rico. Its a no frills top shelf rum. No spices, no blends...you get pure rum flavor. A bit strong for most, but again an excellent rum that should not be mixed. Has more of a kick than other rums. I usually come back from PR with a couple bottles every trip.

Ah rum, I used to have a bottle at my desk...kinda want some now.

Oh I like Rum. Rum is usually what I grab, even before beer. Here is my list

Mixing:

Bacardi Superior (not a particularly good rum, but cheap and goes well with Coke. I grew up with the flavor...and well im Cuban so I liek to support a Cuban family owned business).

bacardi_gold_superior.jpg

Straight (the good stuff):

Bacardi 8 The cheapest of the sipping rums, and imo one of the best, its my go to. I know people get scared of reading bacardi, but this is a GREAT rum. Its a crime to mix it...and at the price, its unbeatable.

bacardi8years.jpg

Ron Zacapa This one, imo, is the best rum there is. Its expensive, but so worth it. Again, mixing is a crime, its my "on special occasions" rum.

zacapa-sistema-solera-23.jpg

Ron Pyrat Its great, less pricey than zacapa, but id still rather go for Bacardi 8, or Zacapa.

PyratRum_zpsfba1991d.jpg

Ron del Barrilito Hard to find anywhere outside of Puerto Rico. Its a no frills top shelf rum. No spices, no blends...you get pure rum flavor. A bit strong for most, but again an excellent rum that should not be mixed. Has more of a kick than other rums. I usually come back from PR with a couple bottles every trip.

107-2eat2drink-barrilito-bottle-p.jpg

Ah rum, I used to have a bottle at my desk...kinda want some now.

Back