Co2 refills in MINUTES

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadSquirrel

Reaction score
I just wanted to drop a line about the great experience I had getting my new Co2 tank filled. I've read horror stories about finding where to go, being handed back a crappy tank after buying/bringing in a new tank, or being forced to drop off a tank overnight. After a few days of calling around, googling, and making random calls to paintball shops, I found:

AIRGAS.COM

There is a location 8 miles from my house. My hubby popped in and spent 13 bucks to fill a 5lb tank. They took it from him, and 5 minutes later a very friendly guy brought it back to him, ice cold! You can even open up an account with them if you don't have your own tank. They'll give you a full tank and just swap out when you are empty. It's so nice to have options!!

All Hail the beer gods and goddessses! All hail my new kegerator! It arrived last night. I ripped apart my keg last night. I hope to have it filled and put together tonight so we can have a nice draft beer this weekend.

I hope this helps!!!

I actually benefitted from swapping. I received a beat-up 5lb. tank that hadn't been used in 10 years from a friend of mine. Took it to the welding supply store and exchanged it for a near new aluminum tank for $8 filled. I can upgrade to a 10lb. tank for an additional $35. (It's only $10.25 to fill those)

for those in the upstate South Carolina area I have to recommend Oconee welding supply in Seneca. I dropped in there one day with a BIG siphon fed tank that a buddy of mine left at my house (we used it for paintball years ago). Anyway, the siphon won't work for this application so I asked the guy if he'd swap it. He said yes and swapped me a much smaller (more convenient) 20# tank for free and filled it for $10! I felt that I got a great deal and he got a much bigger tank.

Most local liquor stores around me fill my tanks in 5 min or less. Kinda wierd that they offer this:confused:

hmm...i still have a bunch a friends over where i used to play paintball. they would probly fill up a tank for me for free

I need to find a place that will fill instead of swapping.. I have gotten lucky once and got a near new alum. tank after giving then a really old tank... I'll be filling that one from now on.. hehee... but I have another old tank thats not aluminum (steel..??)... it looks like crap, so I dont care about that one...

I get my bottle filled at a local welding supply shop.
the first one I went to said they would exchange mine, and then he said "but some guys like to keep their shiney new ones".
Well I wasn't so concerned about the shiney part, but I had just bought a new tank and what would I get in return?? You know there is a date on the tanks and they have to be tested every 5 yrs or so that also costs money.
what happens if I get one out of date ( or near so).
Any way the guy I finaly did busness with still only charges me $8.00 for a 15 LBS.tank. and I still have my shiney one.

snaproll said:
I get my bottle filled at a local welding supply shop.
the first one I went to said they would exchange mine, and then he said "but some guys like to keep their shiney new ones".
Well I wasn't so concerned about the shiney part, but I had just bought a new tank and what would I get in return?? You know there is a date on the tanks and they have to be tested every 5 yrs or so that also costs money.
what happens if I get one out of date ( or near so).
Any way the guy I finaly did busness with still only charges me $8.00 for a 15 LBS.tank. and I still have my shiney one.

Thats one of the benefits of swapping "they" have to test the bottles, they can't give you one that is out of date. Mine charges me $14 for a #20 and $28 for my #50.

Guess I'm wrong then I didn't know, well I can always wait till mine is close and then swap.
That don't seem quite fair, I know I didn't want to pay for it
( a test that is ) unless it is my bottle.

how does this all work? I found some reconditioned corny's for $30 apice and a farmer selling a lg. CO2 tank in good condition, but without a stamp. Is a test expensive or difficult to find a place to facilitate? Would finding a gas service where I can just fill and refill their tank be best? Any thoughts?

In south florida I use a place called hydrostat in Deerfield beach. Really nice guys, in and out in a few minutes with a full tank. they also do on site hydrostatic testing if you need it.

I was using arcet for a long time and they were always great, but recently I found out a friend that worked at a fire inspection business also refills co2... can't beat a free refill, plus he picks up and brings back the cylinders... heheheee....

Jester

i got my 5lb aluminum cylinder refilled at Airgas here in SaN Diego. It was like 2 minutes, very nice.

Unfotunately it was also $21.

BeverageFactory will fill a 5lb tank for $10.

I must have gotten lucky near me. A bottling company called Kalil which bottles water, soda etc for Southern AZ fills them up your tank at $1 a pound. In case anyone has any bottling companies near them this might be a good find... Suckers took 5 minutes though :mad: ;).

They also had pallets of pepsi cornie kegs all over the place <desertbrew thinks score!>. Ask the guy if they're selling them and he says they still have a bunch of places that use them. I thought they went by the way of betamax. Guess not.

Back