Newbie Question on Kits...Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hello All,

Thank you all for your input on this forum. I have already learned so much in such a short time.

I have been looking at various sites selling brew kits. I have come up with two which I think are both decent. I am hoping to get some input from you guys as to what you think about each kit, whats they're missing, what looks good, etc. Also if you know of any other sites you feel are selling better kits (even for more money, up to $200) please let me know.

http://learntobrew.samsbiz.com/

http://www.homebrewadventures.com/s...ROD&Store_Code=homebrew&Product_Code=BREW-002

Again, thank you all for your help!

Bob

Those are both good kits. If I read it right, the first one doesn't have the bottle washer (which you'd like to have) and the second one doesn't have an autosyphon (which you have to have). I'd personally grab two carboy caps also, and of course you'll need a brewpot, but other than that they both look good to go.

I agree that they both look good. I wish I had started with kits like these. A good Stainless Boiling pot is needed and is something no kit seems to include - I have a 20 quart and wish I had a 24 - 30 quart. Northern Brewer has a heavy bottom 32 quart for $89.00 that I will be getting this year.

Thanks guys. I h ave a 16 Qt. brewpot, which i was assuming would be good enough to use as a brewpot, but since you guys are talking about a pot twice that size, I am now in the market for a new one.

Is aluminum ok? I seem to remember someone warning against it somewhere. I am looking on Ebay and they seem to have a number of them at reasonable prices.

Thanks again for the tips. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the first one. I have no problem dropping up to $200 for a kit, but this one offers pretty much the same items (plus the secondary fermenter) for half the price.

Is there anything I am missing about this kit? The only reservation I have is I am wondering why this kit is half the price of other similar too it.

Thanks again and happy brewing!

Back