AG newbie equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChimayLover

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have never attempted an all grain brew but I want to jump to the next level. What equipment will I need to do all grain brewing?

I was thinking of getting this kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/allgrain.html

If that one sucks can anyone recommend a good set up or kit for something close to that price range? I am looking for just a basic setup...

Thanks!

Assuming you already have the equipment to brew extract or PM, You will need:

1. A pot about 7.5 gal or bigger for full boils
2. A mash tun
3. A means to chill 5.5 gal of boiling wort quickly (wort chiller)
4. Aeration equip. though shaking the crap out of the carboy, and transfering from the brew kettle rather noisily can work
5. A lot of research, and preferably some brewing software

That is only an MLT

As Sea points out you will need alot more equipment then that. I would say a 7.5g pot is the bare minimum. You also need a propane burner to bring that volume of wort to a boil, the average kitchen stove will not do it efficiently.

GT

ChimayLover said:
Hi Guys,

I have never attempted an all grain brew but I want to jump to the next level. What equipment will I need to do all grain brewing?

I was thinking of getting this kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/allgrain.html

If that one sucks can anyone recommend a good set up or kit for something close to that price range? I am looking for just a basic setup...

Thanks!

Like others have said, you'll need at least a 7.5 gallon pot. Also a decent burner such as one used for deep frying a turkey. Some kind of stand to put your mashtun on to so as to gravity feed to your boil kettle. Also as mentioned before a good chiller and finally a decent graduated pitcher. The one gallon one on NB works well both for accurately measuring water as well as a vessel during the vorlauf.

Plus you need an accurate theremometer. I like to have 2 pots, one for boiling and one to heat water. You should consider batch sparging as well.

I have that exact kit. It comes with everything you need for doing fly sparging, which is something not really needed. I've just started with batch sparging, and only use the mash tun out of that kit...not the hot liquor tank. You could save a good bit by finding a 10gal cooler like that at HomeDepot or Lowes, and either just buy the bulkheads and false bottom from NB, or try to make a manifold out of braided stainless like alot of others have done on here. It would be a good bit cheaper, and then you would only need the bulkhead kit from NB.

But, then again, I have everything I should need even if I decide to fly sparge. Ohh, and if you order from NB. Their intro to All Grain DVD is great.

Sea said:
Assuming you already have the equipment to brew extract or PM, You will need:

1. A pot about 7.5 gal or bigger for full boils
2. A mash tun
3. A means to chill 5.5 gal of boiling wort quickly (wort chiller)
4. Aeration equip. though shaking the crap out of the carboy, and transfering from the brew kettle rather noisily can work
5. A lot of research, and preferably some brewing software
Pretty good list for a starting AG setup. I don't think aeration equipment is really necessary but it would save time and effort. I use a pitcher and repeatedly pour the wort back into the bucket from a height.
A good solution for the MLT (Mash Lauter Tun) is a 10gal round cooler, Kewler Kits bulkhead and ball valve and a stainless steel braid off of a water supply hose for a toilet or sink. This "kit" is easy to put together and fairly inexpensive. There are a number of other coolers that also work well, just make sure they have a drain that you can replace with the bulkhead.
Brewing software really helps when logging your steps and when making adjustments to water volumes, temps and grain amounts. I find Beersmith to be invaluable in my brewing though I see how you could get away without it.

Craig

Back