Beer coming out of airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeseboy51

Reaction score
So I made a batch of beer and now it's coming out of the airlock, I don't have a blow off tube so I made one. It look like it was slowing down so I put on a clean airlock on and came back out.....is this normal? I found it when I woke up around 9am today and it's still going.....

It's happened to me when I overfill my carboy a bit, or if I have a really big beer and lots of yeast. It'll settle down. When it happens to me I just end up changing out the airlock a few times.

Many factors can cause this. Simple way I combat it is a 5/16 (I know, not ideal but its what I had left after making my kegerator) tubing into a 1-2 liter bottle with enough water so that the end of the tube is submerged. Put the other end into the bung in your carboy. I've never had an issue with it getting stuck. Once it slows down you can put the airlock on.
:rockin:

I'm about to brew my 2nd batch of beer tomorrow. I had the same problem you did last time. I think it was due to my primary fermenter being too small (5 gallon bucket), so the reaction clogged the airlock...

This time I'm using a 7.9 Gallon Bucket for a 5 Gallon brew...

Funkerama, that will be good for your primary but remember you don't want a lot of head space once it slows/stops. If you open it you are inviting O2 into your now beer. Ferment in the bucket and secondary in the 5gal.

Back