Sturgis Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm heading out Wednesday morning and taking 2 days to get there, on a bike ;)
I'll be there the entire time :rockin:
Anyone else going?

the Sturgis Rally has changed quite a bit from when I was a kid. my wife & I still had fun last time we went, 4 years ago. we'd like to go again sometime.

So far so good, but it kinda sucks riding alone. The other 2 guys I was heading out with each had something come up that prevented from riding with me.

leaving Friday morning at 5:30...setting up tent by noon! Then drinking beer at the upstairs bar at OEJ's, in the yard, Crow Peak, or the Firehouse.

Actually, no. Funeral and medical reasons.

Made my 1st overnight stop in Mitchell. Longest I've been on a bike ever.

Riverfront, are all those places in Sturgis? Is there a good place to go for good beer? I'll drink the BMC but Id prefer something else. Any local micros?

No....

One Eyed Jacks in downtown Sturgis, you can find some better beers in the 2nd and 3rd floor bars...check out the taps and always pay attention to the coolers behind the bars to see what the may have.

Crow Peak Brewing in Spearfish

Firehouse Brewing in Rapid City

There is some sort of English Pub in Rapid as well that has a bunch of taps..haven't been there in the past but it's on the list this year.

the yard...this is where we camp....a yard...about 2 blocks off the main drag. We go to the Sturgis liquor store and stock up on Crow Peak beers for evening drinking before heading out on the town.

Where are you staying?

Awesome, good to know.
I'll be in rapid city tomorrow, for the remainder of Sturgis. I'll have to see if I can drag some of the people Im meeting out here with me.

stay away from Firehouse if you like good (or decent) beer. I was born & raised in Rapid City. I've had their "beer". but Crow Peak in Spearfish is a must! we used to drive from Moorcroft, WY to Spearfish quite a bit & I'd had tons of growlers filled. mostly Pile-O-Dirt Porter or 11th Hour IPA.

Billy---firehouse is no bueno? We were there maybe 3 years ago and I don't remember being offended by their offerings.....we had planned on going back this year.

Ki-definitely make time to go to Crow Peak.....come up from the south through Spearfish Canyon then stop at the brewery. great ride, great beer....

Tomorrow, 5:30 am we are off, 3 gas stops later we're in Sturgis! yeeeehaw!

Independent Ale House is a must stop in Rapid City. Great tap list and you can get growlers filled at the bar! Their pizzas are very good.
We currently have the following beers on tap:

Odell Cutthroat Portr
Guinness
Odell Mountain Standard Double Black IPA
Rogue Shakespear Oatmeal Stout
Deschutes Red Chair (Nitro)
Rogue Dirtoir Black Laeger
Deschutes Jubale
Empyrean Chocalate Cherry Stout
Moylans Danny’s Irish Red
New Belgium L.O.F. Heavenly Feijoa Tripel
Odell Mycernary Double IPA
Crow Peak Dopplebockalypse
Crow Peak Canyon Cream Ale
Lost Continent Double IPA

Rogue Hazelnut Nectar
Moylans Kiltlifter
Wasatch Apricot Hefeweizen
Odell Easy Street Wheat
Big Sky IPA
New Belgium Sunshine Wheat
Odell Levity
Rogue Irish Style Lager
New Belgium L.O.F. Cascara Quad
Crow Peak Redwater Ale
Strongbow
Crow Peak 11th Hour IPA
Summit Saga IPA
New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA

Firehouse does not have the best food and drink. There is a lot better to be had in downtown Rapid City

If you like wine at all, stop off at Prairie Berry Winery in Hill City. Very, very nice country wines and even some meads.

I'm at firehouse now. I'm not blown away but it is decent. And its only 1 block from my hotel!
I'll have to try independant while I'm here. Just not in the mood for pizza today.

Hey Wayne, good to hear from you and thanks for the info!

0400 and I have an hour to get ready before meeting the other half of my part at the gas station.....here's to a safe trip!

Billy---firehouse is no bueno? We were there maybe 3 years ago and I don't remember being offended by their offerings.....we had planned on going back this year.

Ki-definitely make time to go to Crow Peak.....come up from the south through Spearfish Canyon then stop at the brewery. great ride, great beer....

Tomorrow, 5:30 am we are off, 3 gas stops later we're in Sturgis! yeeeehaw!
I never could stand their beer. it all tastes like a half-ashed attempt. I tried to like it for years because that's all we had for years, but just never liked them.

Independent Ale House is a must stop in Rapid City. Great tap list and you can get growlers filled at the bar! Their pizzas are very good.
We currently have the following beers on tap:

Odell Cutthroat Portr
Guinness
Odell Mountain Standard Double Black IPA
Rogue Shakespear Oatmeal Stout
Deschutes Red Chair (Nitro)
Rogue Dirtoir Black Laeger
Deschutes Jubale
Empyrean Chocalate Cherry Stout
Moylans Danny’s Irish Red
New Belgium L.O.F. Heavenly Feijoa Tripel
Odell Mycernary Double IPA
Crow Peak Dopplebockalypse
Crow Peak Canyon Cream Ale
Lost Continent Double IPA

Rogue Hazelnut Nectar
Moylans Kiltlifter
Wasatch Apricot Hefeweizen
Odell Easy Street Wheat
Big Sky IPA
New Belgium Sunshine Wheat
Odell Levity
Rogue Irish Style Lager
New Belgium L.O.F. Cascara Quad
Crow Peak Redwater Ale
Strongbow
Crow Peak 11th Hour IPA
Summit Saga IPA
New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA

Firehouse does not have the best food and drink. There is a lot better to be had in downtown Rapid City

If you like wine at all, stop off at Prairie Berry Winery in Hill City. Very, very nice country wines and even some meads.
and don't forget Naked Winery in Hill City too! they contacted me when they were looking for a beer brewer, but we already moved to MN.

I'm at firehouse now. I'm not blown away but it is decent. And its only 1 block from my hotel!
I'll have to try independant while I'm here. Just not in the mood for pizza today.
must be at the Alex Johnson? ask about the haunted room. and The Wine Cellar on 6th between Main & St. Joseph used to have great food!

Actually the Adoba Eco-formerly the Radison.

Firehouse cream stout was actually really good-to me. I had their IPA's and thought they were OK. Not hoppy enough for me.

I did make it to Independant and had a number of beers. Even ran into a fellow homebrewer! Although he's not on the forums. Rather good tap list. I might have to go jack and try some za along with a few more brews.

Actually the Adoba Eco-formerly the Radison.

Firehouse cream stout was actually really good-to me. I had their IPA's and thought they were OK. Not hoppy enough for me.

I did make it to Independant and had a number of beers. Even ran into a fellow homebrewer! Although he's not on the forums. Rather good tap list. I might have to go jack and try some za along with a few more brews.

his name wasn't Al by chance? did you check out Wine Cellar by Alex Johnson?

Got to meet the guys from Top Gear today :D

imag0334-60683.jpg

Back