Do you take the temp of your starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gameface

Reaction score
I never check the temp on my starters. If it feels room temp I pitch the yeast.

Anything I should worry about if I pitch my starter at something like 80F? I figure the yeast are happy even at slightly higher temps and I dump the starter wort so I don't care too much about off flavors if there are any.

I make 2.5L-4L starters and use a stir plate.

Another question. I also don't aerate my wort with my pure O2 system. I don't really even shake it up. I figure that on the stir plate with the loose tin foil it'll get plenty of O2, but am I missing out by not hitting it with a big dose of O2 up front? I just haven't wanted to go through the hassle of sanitizing the O2 stone and all that for a starter.

I never checked my starters temp. As long as it seems cool enough it should be ok, but if its too warm it could cause foam overs from the yeast fermenting like crazy or kill them completely. I chill my starters in the kettle I boiled with. Once the kettle feels cool or room temp to the touch is when I transfer to my flask and add yeast.

If your using a stir plate you would not need to use your o2 system. Even without the stir plate you wouldn't need it, just shake a few times.

I never check the temp on my starters. If it feels room temp I pitch the yeast.

Anything I should worry about if I pitch my starter at something like 80F? I figure the yeast are happy even at slightly higher temps and I dump the starter wort so I don't care too much about off flavors if there are any.

I make 2.5L-4L starters and use a stir plate.

Another question. I also don't aerate my wort with my pure O2 system. I don't really even shake it up. I figure that on the stir plate with the lose tin foil it'll get plenty of O2, but am I missing out by not hitting it with a big dose of O2 up front? I just haven't wanted to go through the hassle of sanitizing the O2 stone and all that for a starter.

I do check the temps but, only to be sure it is close to the temperature of the yeast.

2.5L -4L? you must be brewing some big beers!

I never aerate, I don't have the equipment. The starters work out well.

I do check the temps but, only to be sure it is close to the temperature of the yeast.

2.5L -4L? you must be brewing some big beers!

I never aerate, I don't have the equipment. The starters work out well.

I make 10g batches. I use beersmith to tell me how big a starter to make.

No. I assume that after spending a day on the stir plate, it has a temperature similar to it's surroundings.

No. I assume that after spending a day on the stir plate, it has a temperature similar to it's surroundings.

I'm talking about before pitching the yeast. Just wondered if I would do any damage if I pitched warm into the starter that would show up in the final beer. Didn't figure there would be, but thought it would be good to ask.

Well, it's best if the starter and the wort have similar temperatures - every yeast data sheet i have seen has said within 10 degrees - but i can guess what the temperature of the starter is. 'cause it's gonna be the same as ambient.

I take my starters out of the fridge, decant, and pitch immediately. That keeps the yeast from consuming it's glycogen reserves as it warms up and gets me faster starters and healthier yeast.

I take my starters out of the fridge, decant, and pitch immediately. That keeps the yeast from consuming it's glycogen reserves as it warms up and gets me faster starters and healthier yeast.

Hmmmm. interesting... I do the same but I let the decanted starter warm up for a an hour or two before pitching. I thought I read that ideally you want your yeast to be within 10 degrees F. of your wort. The theory is that you don't want to "shock" the yeast with a wide temperature swing. It would be nice to just decant and pitch!

Hmmmm. interesting... I do the same but I let the decanted starter warm up for a an hour or two before pitching. I thought I read that ideally you want your yeast to be within 10 degrees F. of your wort. The theory is that you don't want to "shock" the yeast with a wide temperature swing. It would be nice to just decant and pitch!

Yeast shock is a pretty old, disproven theory. As long as the yeast isn't warmer than the wort, it doesn't happen. Yeast colder than the wort works great.

Back