how to sweeten my ale after the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decibelz

Reaction score
Ok my batch came out a bit on the bitter side can I sweeten it with malt dextrin? Or is this just one I have to say is a loss?

it's going to taste weird right after the boil give it time, like 2 months time.

oh I've let it go now for 8 days I think I used to high of a hop I used 1oz us magnum alpha 13.1% plus 1oz UK pilgrim 10.5% in a 5 gallon batch . I'll let it sit for now or should I just count it as a loss?

Hop bitterness tends to fade if given time. I suggest buying a cheap case of IPA. Drink one a night. After 24 days, crack open one of yours. It will taste MUCH better.

And if all else fails, you learned that you don't like magnum and you have the perfect ingredient for some really yummy beer bread or a shandy. :D

8 days isn't enough time to know ANYTHING about your beer. The flavors haven't had time to blend, to mellow. Also note that carbonation changes the flavor of a beer (often, quite a bit).

#1 skill that all homebrewers need: PATIENCE.

oh I've let it go now for 8 days I think I used to high of a hop I used 1oz us magnum alpha 13.1% plus 1oz UK pilgrim 10.5% in a 5 gallon batch . I'll let it sit for now or should I just count it as a loss?

ok, i thought you were tasting fresh wort. if it's too bitter it will fade over time, a lot of time. if this is one of your early batches just know that many people have batches that didn't turn out so well in the beginning of their brewing career. you can brew another beer and blend it with this one but what i would do is set it aside and come back to it after 6-8 months and if it's still not to my liking i would dump it. if people here knew how many of my early batches i dumped, i would be expelled from this community. one batch i dumped right out of the fermentor, never even bottled it. as i brewed more and more the quality of the beer got way better. also, maybe your lupulin threshold shift has not occurred.

The only reason to dump beer is if it is in infected and even then....

You can use it in soups and stews. The stronger flavors make the best bread. Mix it with icy lemonade for a refreshing summer drink. Serve it to company that won't appreciate your good stuff....:ban:

Ok so I bottled it and let it go and everyone who has had it said where can I buy this ! It turned out awesome from what im told .
I working on a new flavor now thanks guys

Back