brown sugar late addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
Doing a clone recipe from Austin Homebrew, Midnight Sun Arctic Devil barleywine. Recipe calls for 1lb of brown sugar. My question is if we can add the brown sugar at flameout with the liquid extract, or should it be added earlier? Never used brown sugar in a beer so was wondering how to add it affectively.

Adding it at flame out is best,imo. No chance to burn it,as it'll hit bottom pretty quick. Just add it before the LME to be sure all that heat dissolves the crystals fast. I've used demerara sugar myself,& those crystals need some time to break down & dissolve.

Ok. Didn't think about adding it before the lme but that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply dude.

No problem man. At flame out,I just like to add the stuff that's hardest to dissolve 1st. Then add the others in that order. But we're talking about minutes here,not too long in tems of time. It goes pretty quick.

Dont know if i missed you brew but i recommend using higher quality brown sugar in ageing beer. Some cheaper brands of brown sugar use sulfurized molasses and over time i think it gives it a Metallica flavor to the beer.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Well I got the brown sugar at LHBS, so hopefully it'll be a good quality. Wasn't worried about the time it takes to dissolve since I'm the stirrer and my girlfriend adds the ingredients at a slow steady pace. Seems to work so far. My main concern now is our starter. Made it last night and it seems to be ok. This is our first try with a starter so not to sure what I'm looking for. But have a package of Notty and Windsor just in case.

I've made a couple batches with brown sugar, if its on sale in the store I'll use it rather than buy my suppliers malt extract/glucose mix, so far it seems to turn out fine, not the best head in the world and I find the lacing is better once the bottle is near empty (I bottle it in 2L soda bottles) But so far its fine for my standards.

Back