Should I havest now??? Atlanta GA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtfeld

Reaction score
I planted 1 Cascade plant in in May. It shot up to about 20' within a month, and now they are loaded with cones that I think are ready to be harvested. They feel papery and hold their shape nicely when pinched.

Here is a pic of one I pulled off tonite and cut open. Inside they appear a little wet or waxy.

I vote to harvest this week:ban:.

What say ye?

DSC_7311 (1).800x600.JPG

DSC_7313 (1).800x600.jpg

I think it still looks a little wet. I usually harvest once the central stem is a little more "fibery" and a little less "vegetabley". But obviously, you're the one looking at them in person, so you'll use your own judgement. Do they smell fantastic yet? You should at least wait untill they smell fantastic and feel sticky.

They smell AWESOME!!!!

I'm a noob on the hops growing, so looking for some advice. Based on what I've read, they are either ready or very close.

The other factor is its was 95-99 deg here in Atlanta last week and expect mid to upper 90's again this week.

Don't want to cook them too long

hold out a little longer they are not ready yet.

From the first picture it does look like something is eating them. do you have japanesse beetles?

ETA: the stem will crack and should not be flexable when ready

This is good. I wanted a more in depth look at exactly when harvest time would be. I've never seen photos of anything leading up to the harvest, just pictures recommending what a cone should look like at the time of harvest. Now I have a better idea.

I have heard that the stem with crack before.

King of Cascade.

Thanks for the info. I'll wait a little longer and look for the stem to crack. Anybody have a picture of that or a link to a thread showing the stem cracked?

I'm sure I have lots of things wanting to eat them:(, but at this late date I'm not going to put anything chemical on them. I have noticed a few black/purple-ish beetles around but not sure what they are.

Anything I can do? Lady Bugs???

Back