Ingredient Challenge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was challenged by my boss to brew a beer using Salutti, an aloe drink popular with Hispanics (my boss is Puerto Rican).

Here's the ingredient list from the label:

Water, fructose, aloe vera gel, sugar, maltodextrin, calcium lactate, aloe flavor, citric acid, glycine, sodium citrate, kelcogel, L-ascorbic acid.

I'm planning to go simple for a 3 gallon batch: 4-5lbs of pilsner malt, just enough hops to bitter and a little for aroma. I plan on adding 1.5L of Salutti at flameout. American Ale 1056 yeast.

Anyone ever use this stuff to brew?

Is there anything in the ingredient list that will ruin a beer?

the following are definitely ok: Water, fructose, aloe vera gel, sugar, maltodextrin, aloe flavor, citric acid, ascorbic acid.

i don't know about the others. calcium lactate sounds harmless.

Do you have a source of Aloe plants you can cut back? Well established aloe can get pretty big. If you have a nice expeller press juicer you could run the aloe into it and get fresh aloe juice. That's what I would do.

It must be an expeller press and not a centrifugal juicer. Good luck. Any plant nursery in your area should have some aloe.

Back