OK to drink this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enpitsu

Reaction score
sorry, no pictures. but, i'm wondering if anyone has seen this before.

i made a wheat beer with WLP400 - Belgian Wit. let it sit in the primary for 3.5 weeks. when i opened up the primary, there was something strange on top of it! it looked like it possibly could've been bits of krausen. but in my experience (5 batches) i've only ever seen the krausen on the sides of the container...never on the beer.

checked out and it had attenuated an amazing 80%. aroma was fantastic, as was taste. i ended up skimming off as much as i could and bottled.

so my question is - has anyone seen this or something like it? is this beer safe or was that stuff the result of some bad growth? can bacteria in the beer affect the hydrometer reading? perhaps it didn't attenuate fully and it only looks like that. hm.

Smelled good, tasted good, probably nothing. I've had a couple batches that I was almost sure were infected because of weird things on top, but they turned out fine. Always put in explosion-safe container or closet just in case though.

Smelled good, tasted good, probably nothing. I've had a couple batches that I was almost sure were infected because of weird things on top, but they turned out fine. Always put in explosion-safe container or closet just in case though.

seconded. we had an irish red that developed some weird whitish stuff on the top while in the carboy. it tasted alright when we bottled it. we conditioned it for 3+ weeks, and its delicious now! RDWHAHB! (Thats the first time i've ever posted that! woohoo!)

Rack from under the strange, and above the trub, and put the bottles somewhere they wont damage anything if they do explode from an unwanted infection. RDWHAHB!

Back