Boil water with sugar before bottling? Did I use enough sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markiemark

Reaction score
Ok so I just finished bottling, I put about 1 and 3/4 cup of water and a little over 4 oz of priming sugar in a pot, heated until boiling, then poured it into bottling bucket, then transferred beer into bucket. then bottled. Is that right? Felt weird to have the sugar water which looked just like water go into the bucket, but I think thats what my LHBS told me to do! Just checking.:)

Also, is a little over 4 oz of priming sugar (corn sugar) enough? I had about 4 and 1/4 or so gallons of beer what with the trub and all...last time i brewed it was overcarbonated so I didnt want to make that mistake again

Thanks everyone!

I think you'll be good to go (in my novice opinion). I bottled today as well, 2 cups of water, 5 oz. priming sugar for 5 gals. My next batch, I'm going to try table sugar. Priming sugar is usually included in my kits, but I want to see how much, or little, taste difference it will have.

Back