No sparge RIS and a partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malticulous

Desert Gecko
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping to brew tomorrow. I'm going to get up early and crush this up.

10 Lb Two row Pale
5 Lb Halcyon
1.5 Lb Simpson's Crystal Maris Otter 50-60L
1 Lb Victory
1 Lb Dark Wheat Malt
1 Turbinado Sugar (added late in the boil)
6 Oz Franco Belges Carmel Munich 120L
5 Oz Black Patent
5 Oz Roasted Barley
4 Oz Chocolate Malt
4 Oz Coffee Malt​

Over 20 Lbs with enough strike watter to runoff for a 5.5 gallon batch after a 120 minute boil. I will mash low and long.

I will sparge twice more for a partigyle that I hope to make into 5.5 gallons of American stout.

The hop schedules are totally different for the two runnings.

I hope to get 55% efficiency for the RIS (first runnings with no sparge.) I usually get 85% and hope that the remaining 30% can be had for another 5.5 gallons used for an American stout. The second runnings should be 1.035 after boil. I will add DME (mostly dark) to make up to the the OG. All of my numbers are probably wrong.

I used Kia's chart assuming 100% conversion for the OG of the RIS.

I expect 1.080 for the RIS and 1.035 for the partigyle after boil. I will add DME days latter to make sure the RIS OG is 1.080 and the partigyle is 1.050

The hop schedule for the RIS,

FWH .5 Oz. EKG
60 min 2 Oz. Palisades
15 min .75 Oz Palisades
5 min .75 Palisades
Shooting for ~60 IBU​

For the American Stout

FWH .5 Oz. Glacier
60 min .5 Oz. Columbus
10 min .5 Oz. Columbus
1 min .25 Oz. Cascade
Shooting for 37-40 IBU​
I'm not sure about any of this. I just hope my damn phone does not ring and I can find out tomorrow.

Pleas comment.

Wow. How big is your mash tun? I no-sparge, but have yet to try a partigyle. I recirculate during the mash and lately my efficieny has been 67-68% Sounds like a long brew day. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

I use a Coleman extreme 52 qt cooler. The mash will be 2 qt/lb, 42 qt strike for 32 quarts run off. It will take up 46.5 quarts in the mash tun according to the racker's calculator. The run off should be 1.060. I'll boil it down to 26 quarts at 1.080. If I hit those numbers efficiency would be 60% and the OG after sugar will be 1.087.

edit
I ended up not fitting in the last gallon of strike watter. If I put it in I won't be able to close the lid.

RIS.jpg

After tasting it I added another 3 oz roasted barley. It wasn't roasty enough.

I should be able to get 4.5 gallons of 1.040 from the second runnings. I'll add a 24 oz bag of malt sweetner from a heath food store. I think it's 90% DME and 10 malto dextrin (my DME wont be here untill next week.) 1.054 or so for the second beer.

edit
I got 32 qt of 1.057 wort.

After adding half the watter for the partigyle looking at it and tasting it I added another 4 oz Carmel Munich 120L, 2 oz Black patent and 2 oz Roasted barley for color, body and sweetness. That 120L is very sweet.

That's what I call a full tun. :mug: Keep us updated, I'm really interested to try this. I use a similar cooler for mash tun. Good luck.

I added it in before vaurlouf. I left the lid open until the wort was low enough. I should have took a pic of that!

The Second runnings are on my kitchen stove heating to a boil now. The SG sample is still cooling in a coffee cup in the freezer. Tastes good.

edit,
Second beer (Son of Shivwits) is about 5.5 gallons of 1.033 pre-boil wort.

Your pre-boil numbers look pretty good. How long do you boil to get 8 gallons to 5.5? I just screwed the pooch on my IPA. Been getting mid 60's efficiency, so set beersmith at 65%. I got 57%:mad:. I'm gonna just set everything to 60% from here on out. I would rather overshoot than undershoot OG. Hopefully it will turn out ok. FG was 1.055. I think I'm gonna give-up on this no-sparge process and go to traditional batch sparging. At least try it next batch.

The OG is 1.082 for six gallons of the RIS (Shivwits) after 1 lb sugar and a pint of unwashed wy1098 slurry. I am ready for the blow off.
unash
Son of Shivwits is 1.051 for 4.5 gallons after 24 oz malt sweetener and 8 oz of grains added to the mash. I just poured in a pack of US-05 dry.

Near perfect. I changed the hop schedules slightly as I brewed on the fly. Everything went in and in on time. This was fun.

Best part was I didn't waste anything for a bigger beer. I use this much grain for 11 gallons of 1.060 wort. I hope they both turn out well.

1098 finished it in six days at 1.015. My other two beer in the fermentation freezer were in the high 50's while this thing was blowing of in the mid to high 60's. I may add some malto dextrin to thicken it up a touch. It's not too dry. I can taste the crystal malts. At 8.65% the alcohol heat is evident. Very tasty for a six day old RIS.

The partigyle was really good and the keg was kicked way too fast. :(

I added malto dextrin, dark DME and steeped some black malt in one gallon of water that I boiled down to two quarts to the secondary. It sat for weeks without much activity. I bottled it a few days ago. The sample was without question very, very good.

It's been years now and I can hardly remember this beer. It's time to do another partygyle. This time it's going to be more simple. No capping the mash and no long boils. This recipe is based on my American stout.

19 lbs Great Western 2-row
5 lbs Ashbourne Mild malt
1 lb Crisp Roasted Barley
1 lb CaraAroma

1.5 oz Warrior 60 min
2 oz Amarillo 15 min
2 oz Willamette 5 min

WLP007

40.5 qt strike for 1.6 qt/lb mash. Rackers says it will be 12.2 gallons. I guess it wont fit in my good ol 52qt cooler. I'll convert my 70 qt.

I should be able to get 5.25 gallons of 1.100 70 IBU wort from this. The second beer should be 5.25 gallons of 1.044 wort. I'll bitter it with palisades and finish it with a little Willamette. I think I'll try Mangrove jacks Newcastle Dark Ale in it.

Me and some other homebrewers had a little tasting up in Zion canyon at the brewery there. The brewer wants us to make some winter warmers for another tasting in December. I plan on bringing these.

Latest posts

Back