Growing peppers (for cooking and pairing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Just ordered my seeds for next year.

I always start indoors around Jan 1st and plant out april or may.

I grow and grind my own paprika for cooking, as well as growing jalapenos and superhots.

I grow the infamous 7 POT pepper as well as the Bhut Jolokia.

I will have 30 plants or so this year.

Nothing better than fresh pods or powder for cooking!

I like growing peppers as well, most years. Last summer, none of my pepper plants got over 8" high and only one had a pepper on it. Too much cold weather after transplanting.

I also grow my own peppers, Jalapeno plants were 3-1/2 foot tall this summer, my Habaneros always produce about 1 grocery bag per plant, cayanne peppers, and banana peppers also in the mix, we have perfect hot pepper growing conditions out here! and without a good frost they last for years! I have a habanero plant that is in a huge pot so I can move it inside in the winter to avoid a frost (rare but it does happen) It is great to have a plant producing peppers weeks before other seedlings are even a foot tall!

I am overwintering my 7 pot this winter under lights, everything else will be from seed.

That would be cool to overwinter outside! Maybe just cover up when frost hits.

This year we're cutting back on the number of tomatoes in the garden to make room for more peppers! Here are the seeds we'll be starting in a few weeks:
Regular jalapenos
Biker Billy jalapenos
Poblano
Barker hot New Mexican chile
Joe E. Parker New Mexican chile
Yellow mushroom pepper
Fatalii
Aji limon

The last one is aka "Hot Lemon Drop" pepper. We grew these last year and they make a KILLER sauce!

Fresh from the garden:
1hotlemondroppeppers.jpg

Chopped with a couple jalapenos and Zavorys (habanero look and flavor, but no heat), onion, an entire bulb of garlic and two carrots:
2zavory_jalapeno_carrot_garlic.jpg

Simmering with apple cider vinegar and tequila:
3cookingitup.jpg

Blend:
5blend.jpg

Strain:
6drain.jpg

I love the color of the liquid! Put it in a sanitized flip-top pint bottle and let it sit for a month. Since we opened it we funneled it into a couple woozy bottles that live in the fridge. It's got a wonderful taste and the heat sneaks up on you! Everyone who has tried it has loved it. I think the best use so far was on pulled pork sandwiches. Mmmmmmmmm....

We ordered most of ours from New Mexico State University's Chile Pepper Institute:
http://aces.nmsu.edu/chilepepperinstitute/

Burpee's is the only place to get the Biker Billy seeds, iirc.

Pretty sure we used three places this year but I don't recall the name of the last one since SWMBO did the ordering...

I have ordered from Tomato Growers Supply Co. for many years but I am seeing more companies specializing in Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.

Man, I just made sauce out of my 3 pounds of hab's. Damn good stuff. I grew in a "Earth Box" and barely had to water them at all. I can't believe they produce so many peppers. I have had so many compliments on my sauce, my first time out, that I plan on doing this every year now. That is some awesome looking sauce ya got there scottthorn!

I have had so many compliments on my sauce, my first time out, that I plan on doing this every year now. That is some awesome looking sauce ya got there scottthorn!

Thanks! Those pics are from my first time making sauce and I'll definitely be doing it again (and again!). I forgot to mention that during the simmering phase I had two fans blowing on high and still had to stir at arm's length because the fumes are so potent!

I lived in Albuquerque for 2.5 years back in the 90s and got totally hooked on roasted green chiles. We've never grown the Barker's Hot or the Joe E. Parker before and I'm psyched to see how they turn out in our climate. I might even consider brewing a chile beer....

mmmmmmm fellow chileheads found....

Card carrying beer snobs and pepper lovers.....imagine the possibilities!;)

This year we're cutting back on the number of tomatoes in the garden to make room for more peppers! Here are the seeds we'll be starting in a few weeks:
Regular jalapenos
Biker Billy jalapenos
Poblano
Barker hot New Mexican chile
Joe E. Parker New Mexican chile
Yellow mushroom pepper
Fatalii
Aji limon

The last one is aka "Hot Lemon Drop" pepper. We grew these last year and they make a KILLER sauce!

I love the color of the liquid! Put it in a sanitized flip-top pint bottle and let it sit for a month. Since we opened it we funneled it into a couple woozy bottles that live in the fridge. It's got a wonderful taste and the heat sneaks up on you! Everyone who has tried it has loved it. I think the best use so far was on pulled pork sandwiches. Mmmmmmmmm....

Nice pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I got all of my seeds from nmsu also.

Aji Limon
Red carribbean
bhut jolokia
3 kinds of jalapeno
centennial
Big Jim
Garnet Paprika
Sweet paprika

7 pot and big sun SB are from last year.

Back