natural carbing of lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdawg

Reaction score
I've always naturally carbonated at 65-70F. The lagers I've done have undergone the same treatment with exception of the ones I've gassed.
What do those in the know do when naturally carbonating their lagers? Same temp as fermenting? Room temp? Fridge temp?

I bottle carbonate in the 65-70* range for all my beers, I have a lager that is hopefully gassing up now. Is it right? No idea, but it has worked thus far. :)

I rack from primary to keg shortly after the churning action stops and the trub settles...usually 7-10 days after pitching. I don't take a gravity reading to tell me when (although I prob should)...I just eyeball it. I do take a gravity reading while racking it and it's usually 3-4 points away from FG. Then I just put the keg back @ fermenting temp (usually 48-49 F) for 3 weeks or so. Then I do a closed keg-to-keg transfer to the serving keg and lager @ about 34 F for a month or more (no need to slowly drop temp...the yeast is done). Kaiser's Fermenting Lagers page has info on naturally carbing lagers.

Back