Plastic water bottles for conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has actually had experience using plastic water bottles for conditioning. I know the general consensus is that they don't work, but according to my brother(also a homebrewer), he says he has used this type of bottle and had no bombs.

s0241418_sc7

Most people say that they won't work, but has anyone tried them? It seems that the plastic is flimsy, but my brother doesn't lie.

Thanks

Patton

Never used the plastic water bottles, but I have used coke bottles. The only worry I would have about the water bottles is that aren't really made to deal with the pressure of a carbonated beverage. On the other hand, they are capable of withstanding pressure changes caused by changes in elevation. I would try doing one or two, use the coopers drops or whatever, and see if you have one explode. If no problems move forward. I'm too paranoid to do all five gallons at once, but it's your beer and your mess if something goes wrong.

i use 2litre coke bottles from lidl.

cons:
-cheap pop tastes like sewage

pros:
-they're designed for carbonated liquids
-i don't need a capper
-they're disposable = no cleaning (aside from pre-racking sterilization)
-cheaper than caps (20p/bottle).
-dumping 24 litres of it down the sink shines it up nicely!

Water bottles won't work for bottling. They just weren't made to hold pressure. Even if they don't burst, the bottom will bow outward so they won't stand up after a little pressure is built up in them. You really need a bottle with the five-pointed bottom that's made to hold it's shape under pressure.

Well my problem is, I don't really drink soda out of the bottle and I am certainly not down with drinking 2L of beer over 2 days unfortunately. I really am not worried about the shape of the bottle messing up. If the bottom goes outward that is fine because they will be in 6 pack holders. I am just worried if there is a MAJOR chance that the majority of them will bust.

I buy the 1 liter club soda bottles for 79 cents and dump the soda.
Do you know anyone that drinks soda from a bottle?
Tell friends to save their 16oz mt. dew, sprite and 7up bottles for you.
Wash them with oxy clean.
I don't use cola or root beer bottles.

Back